"Old River City" Top 5 Page for this destination Columbus by BruceDunning
Columbus Travel Guide: 58 reviews and 107 photos
Though the river has been dammed up all along its 430 miles, it still tries to eek out a flow down to the Gulf Coast by Apalachicola Bay. This river used to be much larger and was used for commerce down to New Orleans for textiles and plantation goods. The river got its name from Indians (of course), in general terms meaning river rocks with marks. There are many islands and birms in the middle of the river due to low levels,making any boating near impossible.
The city was founded in 1828, and served to process and ship the general plantation goods; mostly cotton. The Chattahoochee River runs alongside the city, and has been the mainstay for cultures since early BCE by the Indians. Growth in mid 1800's was attributable to the textile mills, but they were destroyed in the Civil War. After the war, they and the city were rebuilt, and thriving commerce lasted until early 1900's. By 1950's with closing of industries long ago, the city was deteriorated to a terrible condition. Much Government grant money was infused to renovate downtown and surrounding areas. The old circa 1800's buildings were rebricked and now used as shops and eateries, but most appear to be occupied by Columbus State College.
The city has about 300,000 people, and the SMSA area has close to 500,000 people. Due to lack of many bypass roads, traffic is congested. The Fort Benning now employs 50% of the workers in the area
- Pros:Good views along the river banks
- Cons:Too much traffic, and little to do here
- In a nutshell:If it were not for the college, not much would exist downtown
This is a small podunk place that claims fame to Jimmy Carter, our President of past. Only 300 people live nearby, and... more travel advice
This is a somber place to remember the tough times soldiers had-in this case Union while in prison. There were 40,000... more travel advice
BruceDunning's Related Pages
Columbus Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Old River City"
- "columbus georgia"
- "Columbus Georgia"
- "Columbus ,GA"
- "cobrioc's new Columbus Page"
- "Columbus.. A Historical Town worth seeing"
- "Cheewa's new Columbus Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Columbus
- Hotels in Columbus
- Transportation in Columbus
- Nightlife in Columbus
- Restaurants in Columbus
- Warnings and Dangers in Columbus
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Columbus
- 14 Reviews
- 47 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (127)
Have you been to Columbus?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Columbus
- Posted in Travel Caribbean and Central America Forum "Re: Help with my next vacation!"
- updated a Columbus Travel Page "Old River City"
- Uploaded a Photo to "National Civil War Naval Museum"
- Wrote a Review Plains Georgia-Jimmy Carter home in Columbus Things to Do
- Commented on one of doug48's Columbus travel pages
Photos in ColumbusSee All Photos (47)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas City Intro, 115 reviews, 370 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 91 reviews, 283 photos
- Munich Intro, 68 reviews, 218 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Split Intro, 58 reviews, 227 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 69 reviews, 201 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boston Intro, 62 reviews, 196 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Padova Intro, 55 reviews, 198 photos
- Paris Intro, 45 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bamberg Intro, 48 reviews, 169 photos
- New York City Intro, 50 reviews, 166 photos