"A City Hanging On" Brunswick by BruceDunning
Brunswick Travel Guide: 18 reviews and 77 photos
Downtown old Brunswick has had a couple of "facelifts" over the last 30-40 years. It still struggles to keep things going down there, and now competes with the retail strip out off the main highway 95 with all its restaurants and motels. The people migration also followed out there.
The town design was from Gen James Oglethorpe in 1771, and in similar design to Savannah, also designed by him. The streets are laid out in line formation; no curves. The city had a heh day with a large pulp mill that supported a majority of city residents. The smell was horrendous, but if you lived/worked there, no complaints. Eventually the Federal Gov't EPA came in the now the smell is much less. In the interim, this was a large shrimp hauling port and ocean port. Most of the shrimping is gone with the catch dimishing, and the port for commerce minimal.
The Clocktower was built in 1889 and the clock installed in 1893. Design was by Henry Eichberg, and in style of Romanesque, popular in that time. The old City Hall was restored in 2004 for $33,000, and now used as events and group meetings.
With only 16,000 residents, it is difficult to turn around the maladies this town has incurred since mid 1800's. One thing after another did not give favor to the town. Yellow fever of 1893, Civil War burning of a lot of the town and ports, bombs in harborduring the war, and on it goes. Today it is said 1.5 million tourists come to this area, but most divert away form Brunswick to go to the nearby islands of Jeykll, St. Simons, etc.
- Pros:If you want quite environment, try downtown
- Cons:I miss the promotion of what the town once was of old
- In a nutshell:Not a lot to do in the city itself, and the strip is packed
They have burgers, pasta, fish and seafood platters, and steaks. The burgers were about $8-9. and steaks $15-20. Overall... more travel advice
It looked like a lot of time went into the preparation of he ribs, and the result is very good. Even though it looks... more travel advice
BruceDunning's Related Pages
Brunswick Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A City Hanging On"
- "brunswick georgia"
- "Rice and Shrimp"
- "BRUNSWICK GA."
- "Kay_C's new Brunswick Page"
- "Tom_Fields's new Brunswick Page"
- "Brunswick, Georgia's I-95 Corridor"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Brunswick
- 7 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (98)
Have you been to Brunswick?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Brunswick
Photos in BrunswickSee All Photos (20)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas City Intro, 115 reviews, 370 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 91 reviews, 283 photos
- Munich Intro, 68 reviews, 222 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Split Intro, 58 reviews, 227 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 69 reviews, 201 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boston Intro, 62 reviews, 196 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Padova Intro, 55 reviews, 198 photos
- Paris Intro, 45 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bamberg Intro, 48 reviews, 169 photos
- New York City Intro, 50 reviews, 166 photos