"The Monuments" Top 5 Page for this destination Atlanta by BruceDunning
Atlanta Travel Guide: 1,493 reviews and 2,678 photos
The Chattahoochie River runs through it. There are a lot of activities throughout the year on the river by locals and visitors who like to river raft or float, or fish. The other linchpin for the area was the railroad development for trade and distribution of goods. The Atlanta and Western RR started in 1837 for a town then called Terminus, now known as Atlanta. The RR is the reason the North armies attacked the town during the Civil War. It cut off the commerce to the rest of the South army.
Coke is the Icon of the South. It represents the revival of the region back to the old splendor and Coke is that symbol. The location was down by the underground, in an effort to try and revive that area. It worked for some 5-7 years, but has waned again. Coke moved up further to north end of the city by Centennial park when the area was more developed after the 1996 Olympics.
Due to the 1996 Olympics, the city got a large spurt of commerce and upgraded the downtown substantially. The effort was millions. At $73 million alone going into Centennial Park, which was the anchor for the area around the sport activities. The whole of the town got a face lift, including the Underground that has had its share of trials trying to rise from the ground. So many wonderful structures are in the skyline now that it is one of the more modern and prestigious cities.
- Pros:Lovely sites to see downtown and around the suburbs
- Cons:Continued growth has jammed traffic to a halt
- In a nutshell:This still is one of the better cities for fun and relaxing
The Hawks are the professional team of the city, and they have a solid following of fans. The stadium is at the CNN... more travel advice
The center features tours throughout the day, usually every 20 minutes spread. The groups are around 20-30 people each... more travel advice
BruceDunning's Related Pages
Atlanta Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Monuments"
- "Big city livin in the South"
- "Atlanta & Coca Cola"
- "atlanta georgia"
- "Atlanta - full of surprises"
- "Capital of the South"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Atlanta
- Hotels in Atlanta
- Transportation in Atlanta
- Nightlife in Atlanta
- Restaurants in Atlanta
- Shopping in Atlanta
- Warnings and Dangers in Atlanta
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Atlanta
- 45 Reviews
- 130 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (99)
Have you been to Atlanta?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Atlanta
Photos in AtlantaSee All Photos (130)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas City Intro, 115 reviews, 370 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 91 reviews, 283 photos
- Munich Intro, 68 reviews, 222 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Split Intro, 58 reviews, 227 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 69 reviews, 201 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boston Intro, 62 reviews, 196 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Padova Intro, 55 reviews, 198 photos
- Paris Intro, 45 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bamberg Intro, 48 reviews, 169 photos
- New York City Intro, 50 reviews, 166 photos