"Center of Growth for the region" Top 5 Page for this destination Tallahassee by BruceDunning
Tallahassee Travel Guide: 257 reviews and 502 photos
A vibrant city that is the state capitol with all the usual monuments. It became the capitol in 1824 in order to appease the politicians as a half way point for Jacksonville and Pensacola. It has a population of 181,000, but the region is up to 363,000.
In the 1600's the Spanish founded mission around this area, and the Apalachee Indians once occupied it as good agricultural land. In mid 1800's this was the agricultural center for cotton and trading of goods, and slave trade. Today it has become a destination for high tech companies
To the south of the city is the Apalachicola Wildlife area and nature preserve. It is large area and recreation for the locals on weekends with 564,000 acres of land. All kinds and types of recreation are found in this area.
This is of the Goodwood home, which we decided was the best tour we had on the one month trip to the South. It was loaded with period furniture and the tour of 90+ minutes was very interesting of how this plantation survived
- Pros:A nice layout for th ecity and sites centered downtown
- Cons:A lot of traffic always seem to be going somewhere
- In a nutshell:A good place to see Governement in action and activity
This small but quaint town has a large number of antiques stores. After the commerce trade of rolling cigars died off... more travel advice
This is a very nice town that is about 35 miles north of the city. Take HWy 319 out the the north part of the city. The... more travel advice
BruceDunning's Related Pages
Tallahassee Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Where SPRINGTIME begins...Tallahassee"
- "tallahassee florida"
- "Center of Growth for the region"
- "Tallahassee Magic"
- "This is my home."
- "Basaic Tallahassee Page"
- "Tallahassee, Florida"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tallahassee
- Hotels in Tallahassee
- Transportation in Tallahassee
- Nightlife in Tallahassee
- Restaurants in Tallahassee
- Shopping in Tallahassee
- Warnings and Dangers in Tallahassee
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tallahassee
- 24 Reviews
- 91 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (127)
Have you been to Tallahassee?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tallahassee
- Posted in Travel Caribbean and Central America Forum "Re: Help with my next vacation!"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Havana-yes in Florida"
- Wrote a Review Havana-yes in Florida in Tallahassee Off The Beaten Path
- updated a Tallahassee Travel Page "Center of Growth for the region"
- Commented on one of 850prc's Tallahassee travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas City Intro, 115 reviews, 370 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 91 reviews, 283 photos
- Munich Intro, 68 reviews, 218 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Split Intro, 58 reviews, 227 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 69 reviews, 201 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boston Intro, 62 reviews, 196 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Padova Intro, 55 reviews, 198 photos
- Paris Intro, 45 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bamberg Intro, 48 reviews, 169 photos
- New York City Intro, 50 reviews, 166 photos