"History Far Back in Time" Saint Augustine by BruceDunning
Saint Augustine Travel Guide: 712 reviews and 1,938 photos
The town was founded and developed by Mendez from Spain when they came to the New World to conquer and look for gold, silver and treasures. They immediately sought our and fought the French located in a Fort Caroline, near Jacksonville. Explorer Ribault's soldiers nearly all were killed, and he was executed in 1564. The Spanish continued to grow the town, and in short time frame it became a trading center for the region
Henry Flagler built this hotel monument in 1888 to draw tourists from the north down to Florida. He invested heavily in railroad and commerce and banking, and wanted to get people to come and spend; the ultimate retail goo-roo of the south. He came south due to bad health and stayed on to make even more money.
The main street is St. George, and it had many residents shooping daily. Now there are many tourists shopping and strolling down this street.
- Pros:A busy and packed town with something for all
- Cons:No doubt there would be way too many people in tourist season
- In a nutshell:Pick out the historic sites and skip most tourist gimmicks
I always like a map for guidance of what is located where, and the distances before I go to a place. These hopefully... more travel advice
Boat rides along the coast is one method of seeing some sites and enjoy the water. Rides are usually form around the... more travel advice
BruceDunning's Related Pages
Saint Augustine Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Saint Augustine"
- "St Augustine"
- "Oldest US City"
- "saint augustine"
- "My Favorite thing about Florida.. St. Augustine!"
- "St. Augustine - The First Coast"
- "History Far Back in Time"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Saint Augustine
- Hotels in Saint Augustine
- Transportation in Saint Augustine
- Nightlife in Saint Augustine
- Restaurants in Saint Augustine
- Shopping in Saint Augustine
- Warnings and Dangers in Saint Augustine
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Saint Augustine
- 21 Reviews
- 58 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (99)
Have you been to Saint Augustine?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Saint Augustine
- Posted in Travel Caribbean and Central America Forum "Re: Help with my next vacation!"
- updated a Saint Augustine Travel Page "History Far Back in Time"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Fort to Protect US"
- Wrote a Review Town Maps in Saint Augustine Things to Do
- Commented on one of Kaspian's Saint Augustine travel pages
Photos in Saint AugustineSee All Photos (58)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas City Intro, 115 reviews, 370 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 91 reviews, 283 photos
- Munich Intro, 68 reviews, 222 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Split Intro, 58 reviews, 227 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 69 reviews, 201 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boston Intro, 62 reviews, 196 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Padova Intro, 55 reviews, 198 photos
- Paris Intro, 45 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bamberg Intro, 48 reviews, 169 photos
- New York City Intro, 50 reviews, 166 photos