"History Far Back in Time" Saint Augustine by BruceDunning

Saint Augustine Travel Guide: 715 reviews and 1,953 photos

Old Town Was Vibrant

The town was founded and developed by Mendez from Spain when they came to the New World to conquer and look for gold, silver and treasures. They immediately sought our and fought the French located in a Fort Caroline, near Jacksonville. Explorer Ribault's soldiers nearly all were killed, and he was executed in 1564. The Spanish continued to grow the town, and in short time frame it became a trading center for the region

Orante and Elegant

Henry Flagler built this hotel monument in 1888 to draw tourists from the north down to Florida. He invested heavily in railroad and commerce and banking, and wanted to get people to come and spend; the ultimate retail goo-roo of the south. He came south due to bad health and stayed on to make even more money.

The old buildings draw you in

The main street is St. George, and it had many residents shooping daily. Now there are many tourists shopping and strolling down this street.

• Pros:A busy and packed town with something for all
  • Cons:No doubt there would be way too many people in tourist season
  • In a nutshell:Pick out the historic sites and skip most tourist gimmicks
  • Last visit to Saint Augustine: May 2011
  • Intro Updated Jul 19, 2011

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Aug 22, 2011 at 2:23 PM

Yes, the Lightner Museum certainly looks unique and very elegant. But I think I would have skipped the Ripley’s, just as you did.

• Mikebb's Profile Photo
    Jul 1, 2011 at 4:19 PM

Bruce, I like your page, plenty to see in St Augustine, I like the majestic buildings and Church. Entry prices are very expensive.

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Jun 26, 2011 at 9:39 AM

Wish we had got here on our trip to FL way back when! George St looks lovely (I like the old school house especially) as does Spanish Quarter

• Cristian_Uluru's Profile Photo
    Aug 30, 2010 at 11:56 AM

I spent a wonderful day in the fantastic Saint Augustine! I really like this town.

• Basaic's Profile Photo
    Oct 20, 2009 at 11:05 AM

Very nice overview of Saint Augustine.

• Ewingjr98's Profile Photo
    Jul 11, 2009 at 8:35 AM

Thanks for the introduction on Saint Augustine. This historic town has always interested me, and I should finally get to visit this summer on my drive to Florida!

BruceDunning

“Our ultimate and final trip is to "City" in the clouds”

Badges & Stats in Saint Augustine

Have you been to Saint Augustine?

Latest Activity in Saint Augustine