"Large Metropolitan City" Top 5 Page for this destination Jacksonville by BruceDunning
Jacksonville Travel Guide: 390 reviews and 754 photos
It is a city that takes many minutes to get around due to its large size and heavy traffic. The area covered for the city limits is 885 square miles, and the largest area of a city in the US. Population of residents is 1.5 million people, but it looks and feels like a lot more when you are in traffic. Where do they all go to?
The city got a start back in 1564 when the area was claimed by the French by explorer Ribault. They build Fort Caroline up to the north of the city. Spaniards attacked the next year and took possession of the fort and region. Then the British took control in 1763, and by 1822, the USA got control and Andrew Jackson (nee the name of the city) became the first territorial Governor for a short time.
The good attribute is surrounding the city is nature areas and large marshy preserves. The region has a lot of marshes and low land that harbors wildlife and is a sanctuary for animals.
Container ships is a way of life here. It is the largest port for Naval goods coming to the area, and the largest east coast drop off of vehicles coming from overseas.
- Pros:The sun is nice when not too hot, and nature areas good
- Cons:Way too much traffic and busy roads
- In a nutshell:Not much in downtown and beaches are packed
With the St. John's River being the main waterway running through the city, it is logical that people want water... more travel advice
The industry of shrimping is only a fraction of what it used to be when I was here more than 25 years ago. They are... more travel advice
BruceDunning's Related Pages
Jacksonville Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Jacksonville & America's First Coast"
- "Large Metropolitan City"
- "jacksonville florida"
- "A Story On Jacksonville"
- "Bold New City of the South"
- "Jacksonville - Surprisingly Rich for Tourists"
- "Jacksonville, FL... passing thru...."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Jacksonville
- Hotels in Jacksonville
- Transportation in Jacksonville
- Nightlife in Jacksonville
- Restaurants in Jacksonville
- Shopping in Jacksonville
- Warnings and Dangers in Jacksonville
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Jacksonville
- 31 Reviews
- 102 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (127)
Have you been to Jacksonville?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Jacksonville
Photos in JacksonvilleSee All Photos (102)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas City Intro, 115 reviews, 370 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 91 reviews, 283 photos
- Munich Intro, 68 reviews, 222 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Split Intro, 58 reviews, 227 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 69 reviews, 201 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boston Intro, 62 reviews, 196 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Padova Intro, 55 reviews, 198 photos
- Paris Intro, 45 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bamberg Intro, 48 reviews, 169 photos
- New York City Intro, 50 reviews, 166 photos