"Nearly the Oldest Than Most Towns in US" Top 5 Page for this destination Fernandina Beach by BruceDunning
Fernandina Beach Travel Guide: 93 reviews and 262 photos
The town is called Isle of 8 Flags because starting with the French in 1562, which founded the town, it changed over to Spanish after a battle in 1565, and a mission was established in 1573. From there the British got possession in 1763 from a treaty with Spain, then after the Revolutionary WAr, USA let it go back to the Spaniards. That did not last long, and US took control in 1812, then Spain again, then Mexico, and then Confederates, and ultimately US again and finally.
This is one of the largest historic districts in US. It encompasses nearly 25600 acres, that was dedicated from 1973-87. That now means that ownders have to meet standards to keep the buildings as they should look form the old era.
They have beaches all along the ocean side of Fernandina/Amelia Island. They white sand beaches run the length of the island that spans about 10 miles. The main beach is at Fletcher Ave near old downtown and at Atlantic Ave.
- Pros:A wonderfully preserved downtown district that is big
- Cons:During tourist season, the place gets crowded
- In a nutshell:A nice place to come and walk the downtown streets
This is located over by Fort Clinch, and can be seen from there. Tours are not available, but you can drive up to it for... more travel advice
This is an old well preserved home and surrounding buildings, as though it would look like in the old days of planting... more travel advice
BruceDunning's Related Pages
Fernandina Beach Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Nearly the Oldest Than Most Towns in US"
- "A Step Back In Time"
- "fernandina beach florida"
- "First port in Florida, Fernandina Beach"
- "A quaint beach town on Amelia Island"
- "The Musicians"
- "Beautiful deep white sandy Beach & Charming Town!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Fernandina Beach
- Hotels in Fernandina Beach
- Nightlife in Fernandina Beach
- Restaurants in Fernandina Beach
- Shopping in Fernandina Beach
- Warnings and Dangers in Fernandina Beach
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Fernandina Beach
- 18 Reviews
- 60 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (128)
Have you been to Fernandina Beach?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fernandina Beach
Photos in Fernandina BeachSee All Photos (60)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas City Intro, 115 reviews, 370 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 91 reviews, 283 photos
- Munich Intro, 68 reviews, 218 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Split Intro, 58 reviews, 227 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 69 reviews, 201 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boston Intro, 62 reviews, 196 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Padova Intro, 55 reviews, 198 photos
- Paris Intro, 45 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bamberg Intro, 48 reviews, 169 photos
- New York City Intro, 50 reviews, 166 photos