"A Mining Town Still Panning for Dollars" Idaho Springs by BruceDunning
Idaho Springs Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 64 photos
Gold was discovered in 1859 and the mining continued in earnest through the first decade of 1900's. They still dig today, and Arco Gold Mine is in the middle of the town, but most of it is for tourism .
The town is only 1,900 people, and most all are in retail connection some how. Store fronts stretch for a good mile down the old highway, now Miner St. The summers bring many to relax and take in the surrounding mountains. Due to them being in the backyard, the town cannot expand north or south where there also is US 70.
They have a tunnel where digging for gold started in 1892, and go into the mountain 4 1/2 miles. The main shaft branches out into many others along the route for old digging, but now closed to public.
Opera building still in use today. It has been preserved, and an anchor to the downtown area.
- Pros:A well preserved town of old buildings
- Cons:I would not want to come here in summer peak season
- In a nutshell:Overall, you feel welcome here and there are things to do
There is an entrance to the museum and the mine right off the Miner Street. It is located about half way down the main... more travel advice
BruceDunning's Related Pages
Idaho Springs Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mount Evans Wilderness"
- "bgedwards's original hometown"
- "A Mining Town Still Panning for Dollars"
- "Idaho Springs....Town with a past!"
- "Small town - gateway to the front range"
- "Idaho Springs"
- "Idaho Springs/Georgetown"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Idaho Springs
- 2 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (100)
Have you been to Idaho Springs?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Idaho Springs
- Posted in Travel Caribbean and Central America Forum "Re: Help with my next vacation!"
- Uploaded a Video to Idaho Springs
- Commented on one of goingsolo's Idaho Springs travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "A Mining Town Still Panning for Dollars"
- updated a Idaho Springs Travel Page "A Mining Town Still Panning for Dollars"
- Wrote a Review Gold Mine to Tour and Museum in Idaho Springs Things to Do
Photos in Idaho SpringsSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas City Intro, 115 reviews, 370 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 91 reviews, 283 photos
- Munich Intro, 68 reviews, 222 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Split Intro, 58 reviews, 227 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 69 reviews, 201 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boston Intro, 62 reviews, 196 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Padova Intro, 55 reviews, 198 photos
- Paris Intro, 45 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bamberg Intro, 48 reviews, 169 photos
- New York City Intro, 50 reviews, 166 photos