"Like the Little Grand CAnyon" Colorado National Monument by BruceDunning
Colorado National Monument Travel Guide: 30 reviews and 84 photos
This is a wonderful place that is not well publicized. The overall preserved area is 225 miles that includes the adjacent NCA (Conservation Area) of McInnis/Black Ridge. The Colorado Monument itself is 32 square miles. The CCC carved out the main road in the 1930's-all 23 miles mostly with rudimentary hand tools.
The hikes are as difficult as many other parks out in this rugged and remote regions of the desert west. I at least found that so. I hiked one day 12 miles, and that exhausted an old guy like me.
This entrance is off the back way in from the town, instead of off I-70 and onto Hwy 340 from the north. It is easier to get to the park form there, and then loop around to come out the north side.
The main road through the park is Rim Rock Drive, a 23 mile drive end to end. Many trails (14 total) and overlook vistas (11) are available through the drive. From the town center take Monument Road to Rim Rock Dr and enter from south, or Hwy 340 from the north. This abuts the BLM McMinnis CAnyon for those more adventuresome. It is rugged back country driving, and difficult hikes.
- Pros:The park is not as crowded as some others and lively
- Cons:The hikes can be rigerous and demanding on the novice
- In a nutshell:This is a serene and peaceful place to hike and enjoy
Overall these two rugged and back country areas encompass about 190 square miles. Black Ridge was dedicated in 1964 and... more travel advice
Monument canyon is the monster of the three main canyons. It also has a creek running down the middle. You can hike down... more travel advice
BruceDunning's Related Pages
Colorado National Monument Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Colorado NM - Land of Plateaus & Canyons"
- "Like the Little Grand CAnyon"
- "Colorado National Monument"
- "A scenic bypass just outside Grand Junction"
- "Gem of Western Colorado"
- "Colorado Territory"
- "Pictures of Colorado National Monument"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Colorado National Monument
- 6 Reviews
- 25 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (98)
Have you been to Colorado National Monument?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Colorado National Monument
- Posted in Travel Caribbean and Central America Forum "Re: Help with my next vacation!"
- Commented on one of goingsolo's Colorado National Monument travel pages
- updated a Colorado National Monument Travel Page "Like the Little Grand CAnyon"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Like the Little Grand CAnyon"
- Wrote a Review McInnis Canyon-Black Ridge in Colorado National Monument Things to Do
Photos in Colorado National MonumentSee All Photos (25)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas City Intro, 115 reviews, 370 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 91 reviews, 283 photos
- Munich Intro, 68 reviews, 222 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Split Intro, 58 reviews, 227 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 69 reviews, 201 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boston Intro, 62 reviews, 196 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Padova Intro, 55 reviews, 198 photos
- Paris Intro, 45 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bamberg Intro, 48 reviews, 169 photos
- New York City Intro, 50 reviews, 166 photos