"Lava Flowed Freely Once" Top 5 Page for this destination Sunset Crater National Monument by BruceDunning
Sunset Crater National Monument Travel Guide: 49 reviews and 166 photos
Besides being in Hawaii once, I cannot think of another place in US that has so much lava flow preserved and intact. The park was dedicated as a national monument in 1930 to preserve the lava rock and flow areas. It is only 3,040 acres, but is a part of the surrounding Coconino Forest. It also is connected to Wupatki Park from a 35 miles road that loops to meet in the north and end up back onto Hwy 89. The park is 13 miles north of Flagstaff and I-40 intersection
The park has a number of different craters, but the Sunset is the main one. A secondary large crater is Strawberry crater in the more interior of the park. It is only accessible by hiking a long trail of 8 miles. The other craters are actually part of the overall Sunset landscape and Bonita Flow, the designated large area that can be hiked with much difficulty on jagged lava rock.
This shows the location of the Strawberry Crater and the surrounding locations of the park and its proximity to Wupatki and Hwy 89. The drive through Coconino Forest is very nice and peaceful on the 25 additional miles from Sunset on loop road to Wupatki.
- Pros:Wonderful views and hiking abound
- Cons:Not able to get to interior Strawberry crater easily
- In a nutshell:A real unique site that is eery feeling in the folow rock
This is a rather difficult drive to get up to the crater itself. From there, you need to park and hike in further. I was... more travel advice
All around the park 10+ mile drive, you can see these peaks from all vantage points. They are actually part of a 3,000... more travel advice
BruceDunning's Related Pages
Sunset Crater National Monument Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Basaic Sunset Crater Page"
- "Sunset Crater Volcano National Monument"
- "Lava Flowed Freely Once"
- "Cinder Cones Galore"
- "Flagstaff, wintersport in the desert"
- "SUNSET CRATER NATIONAL PARK"
- "Arizona Volcano"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sunset Crater National Monument
- Transportation in Sunset Crater National Monument
- Warnings and Dangers in Sunset Crater National Monument
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sunset Crater National Monument
- 6 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (127)
Have you been to Sunset Crater National Monument?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sunset Crater National Monument
- Posted in Travel Caribbean and Central America Forum "Re: Help with my next vacation!"
- Wrote a Review Sunset crater in Sunset Crater National Monument Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Sunset crater"
- updated a Sunset Crater National Monument Travel Page "Lava Flowed Freely Once"
- Commented on one of Basaic's Sunset Crater National Monument travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas City Intro, 115 reviews, 370 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 91 reviews, 283 photos
- Munich Intro, 68 reviews, 218 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Split Intro, 58 reviews, 227 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 69 reviews, 201 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boston Intro, 62 reviews, 196 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Padova Intro, 55 reviews, 198 photos
- Paris Intro, 45 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bamberg Intro, 48 reviews, 169 photos
- New York City Intro, 50 reviews, 166 photos