"VAlley in the Sun" Top 5 Page for this destination Phoenix by BruceDunning
Phoenix Travel Guide: 768 reviews and 1,595 photos
The city itself is only part of the larger suburb complex of surrounding residential and retail places to shop, eat and drive around. End to end it must be about 60 miles east/west, and 40 miles north/south. Total population estimate is 4.2 million in SMSA, and 1.5 million in Phoenix proper. Phoenix the city has 517 square mile coverage area, but the whole valley communities total 15,000 square miles-LARGE-, and over 40 other community towns that make up the composite area.
The irony is there are about 400,000 snowbirds that flock here for usually 4-6 months to get away form the north winter weather. They spend some money, but most are retirees not having a lot of slush money to blow. Even though, it is estimated they spend about $600 million while there. The irony, is the demand for house them has created some of the more disasterous looking places with mobile homes and RV parks all around, or cheap end housing units. It devalues the home prices overall, to about $120,000 for the region area.
The highway system is good, but the number of vehicles still make it treachery for commuters and tourists trying to maneuver around the area. Hwy 10 and Hwy 17 are main arteries, and loop roads are 202 and 101, which make getting around more tolerable.
Sunrise and sunset views are the craze in this valley, and they are magnificent. This is of a sunset picture. People marvel at the different colors and mixing with cloud variations; so do I.
Without the intricate road system that carries traffic, this would be gridlock daily; more than it is now.
- Pros:Good and warm/pleasant in the winter
- Cons:Good and hot in summer and traffic is ugly+smog
- In a nutshell:A very large valley area and sunny most of the year
This bridge became the backbone for creating a dam system to serve the Phoenix area. Before that dam process, and canals... more travel advice
The downtown city center is right in the middle of the valley and surrounded by hills/mountains on all sides. Views of... more travel advice
BruceDunning's Related Pages
Phoenix Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Beautiful Phoenix, Arizona!"
- "VAlley in the Sun"
- "Phoenix Arizona"
- "Phoenix and Scottsdale--Jewels of the Desert"
- "Spring In The Desert"
- "It's a dry heat!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Phoenix
- Hotels in Phoenix
- Transportation in Phoenix
- Nightlife in Phoenix
- Restaurants in Phoenix
- Shopping in Phoenix
- Warnings and Dangers in Phoenix
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Phoenix
- 42 Reviews
- 139 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (127)
Have you been to Phoenix?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Phoenix
- Posted in Travel Caribbean and Central America Forum "Re: Help with my next vacation!"
- updated a Phoenix Travel Page "VAlley in the Sun"
- Wrote a Review Salt River Bridge at Roosevelt Dam in Phoenix Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "South Mountain Park"
- Commented on one of VeronicaG's Phoenix travel pages
Photos in PhoenixSee All Photos (139)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas City Intro, 115 reviews, 370 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 91 reviews, 283 photos
- Munich Intro, 68 reviews, 222 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Split Intro, 58 reviews, 227 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 69 reviews, 201 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boston Intro, 62 reviews, 196 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Padova Intro, 55 reviews, 198 photos
- Paris Intro, 45 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bamberg Intro, 48 reviews, 169 photos
- New York City Intro, 50 reviews, 166 photos