"Newest Town in the US" Top 5 Page for this destination Page by BruceDunning
Page Travel Guide: 262 reviews and 724 photos
Page was names after John Page, head of Bureau of Reclamation. That was a result of the US building the Lake Powell dam. It was on Navajo land, but they traded this for some to the Navajo in Utah. The year was 1957. Then it was a work camp for laborers employed to build the dam. Officially incorporated in 1975 as a town, it has thrived swiftly. Today the town is 9,000 residents, with a 24 square mile circumference.
With a lot of controversy back in the 1950's, the dam was started to be built in 1958. It took seven years to complete; in 1963. The dam wall is 7,000 feet high, and they used 10 million tons of concrete. It took 17 years to fill up the crevice/canyons for back water to provide sufficient power. It produces enough power to serve 3 million homes all the way to California.
The Lake Powell is named after John Wesley Powell. He and nine others explored this area coming down the Colorado River in 1869, and gain 1871. It charted the area for the country for the first time. They covered 1,000 miles in coming down Green River which merged into Colorado River. Not much was done around the rough terrain except for some mining and grazing of animals. The region was part of the large Navajo reservation. They still have 16 million acres on the reservation in Utah and New Mexico territory.
- Pros:Friendly atmosphere by the locals; shopping is here
- Cons:Beginning to have too much traffic & fast food concept
- In a nutshell:Page is a place to rest for a day and on to site around here.
Ask what they are. These are actual balls that are created over some unbelievable period of time, and found in the rock... more travel advice
This is an easy 2 mile round trip hike down a sandy path, and along the Colorado River. The views on the hike are... more travel advice
BruceDunning's Related Pages
Page Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Page Az...where cowboys & Indians play the day."
- "Newest Town in the US"
- "Welcome to my Page-page"
- "Page...A Beautiful Venue"
- "An itty-bitty page about Page"
- "A page on Page - What's that?"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Page
- Hotels in Page
- Transportation in Page
- Nightlife in Page
- Restaurants in Page
- Shopping in Page
- Warnings and Dangers in Page
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Page
- 24 Reviews
- 91 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (128)
Have you been to Page?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Page
Videos in PageSee All Videos (2)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas City Intro, 115 reviews, 370 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 91 reviews, 283 photos
- Munich Intro, 68 reviews, 218 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Split Intro, 58 reviews, 227 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 69 reviews, 201 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boston Intro, 62 reviews, 196 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Padova Intro, 55 reviews, 198 photos
- Paris Intro, 45 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bamberg Intro, 48 reviews, 169 photos
- New York City Intro, 50 reviews, 166 photos