"Recreation Goes for Miles" Top 5 Page for this destination Glen Canyon National Recreation Area by BruceDunning
Glen Canyon National Recreation Area Travel Guide: 42 reviews and 146 photos
This is a large and expansive area that the park covers. It runs about 200 miles in length and about 40-50 miles in width at the largest section. This lake was created as a result of 17 years of accumulating water in the backside of the dam. That ended up holding 7 trillion gallon of water. The deepest point is by the dam at 580 feet. The dam had 90 canyons that can be investigated' probably with a boat is best. There are said to be 170 bird species in the area, and 800 mammals. Rainbow Bridge was not even discovered to modern day explorers until 1909. That is remote
There are 6 marinas on the lake, with tow more popular at the south end by Page, and the main visitor center. Access to many areas is difficult, because only two main highways cut across the lake. Much of the lake is remote. The area within the park boundaries is 1.25 million acres, even though the backwater area is only 161,390 acres; or 13% of the land surface. The lake is 186 miles long and 4--50 miles wide at the widest part. It holds 7 trillion gallons of water. The shoreline is 1960 miles, and the lake is the second largest in the US for territory covered. It serves downriver the flow and control of floods to areas all the way to California coast. Much complaining goes on as to the stingy hold back of water that is desperately needed down to the southwest
There is an overlook from Hwy 89 that shows great views of the dam and surrounding area. It is off Hwy 89 and behind the National Park Service building on a loop road. One end is the Walmart, and the other is Denny's restaurant, in the Page town perimeter. The dam is 1560 feet across and 710 feet high.
An environmentalist named Ed Abbey was one of the first to try and fight this dam construction back in late 1960's. He lost but got the attention of many others with writing books and going on speaking engagements. He thinks this dam is a tragedy, and he may be right from what I read. It has taken away much desert beauty and hidden canyons never to be seen again. It also is a fairly porous dam that is silting up with millions of gallons coming downstream, and water leaches into the bed floor by 1 million gallons a day.
- Pros:Quite and serene for miles
- Cons:Not Enough Accessible areas to view by vehicle
- In a nutshell:A good place to relax and stay to enjoy the landscape
This is a town of 9,000 in the surrounding area. Most are Navajo due to the Reservation being close by and this used to... more travel advice
This is a quite area that most people are not even aware of. You can drive back her for a couple of miles, and get great... more travel advice
BruceDunning's Related Pages
Glen Canyon National Recreation Area Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Recreation Goes for Miles"
- "A Time & Purpose for Everything: Glen Canyon"
- "Glen Canyon Dam and Lake Powell"
- "Glen Canyon National Recreation Area"
- "Lake Powell"
- "Lake Powell and Glen Canyon"
- "Lake Powell / Glen Canyon National Recreation Area"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Glen Canyon National Recreation Area
- Hotels in Glen Canyon National Recreation Area
- Restaurants in Glen Canyon National Recreation Area
- Warnings and Dangers in Glen Canyon National Recreation Area
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Glen Canyon National Recreation Area
- 7 Reviews
- 30 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (97)
Have you been to Glen Canyon National Recreation Area?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Glen Canyon National Recreation Area
- Posted in Travel Caribbean and Central America Forum "Re: Help with my next vacation!"
- updated a Glen Canyon National Recreation Area Travel Page "Recreation Goes for Miles"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Page-the town"
- Wrote a Review Page-the town in Glen Canyon National Recreation Area Things to Do
- Commented on one of richiecdisc's Glen Canyon National Recreation Area travel pages
Photos in Glen Canyon National Recreation AreaSee All Photos (30)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas City Intro, 115 reviews, 370 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 91 reviews, 283 photos
- Munich Intro, 68 reviews, 222 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Split Intro, 58 reviews, 227 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 69 reviews, 201 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boston Intro, 62 reviews, 196 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Padova Intro, 55 reviews, 198 photos
- Paris Intro, 45 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bamberg Intro, 48 reviews, 169 photos
- New York City Intro, 50 reviews, 166 photos