"Town of Surrounding Sites" Top 5 Page for this destination Flagstaff by BruceDunning
Flagstaff Travel Guide: 419 reviews and 870 photos
The town is focused on the old downtown center, and it has done a fine job of revival for the core. It draws folks, mostly university crowd and tourists to come on down and enjoy an evening out for drinks and dinners. Even during the day, there seemed to be reasonable activity.
The city got its start late in US terms. Because there was a spring close by Fred McMillen settled here in 1876. By 1880 only 20 people lived here. In 1892 it started to become an attraction, mostly due to the railroad coming through town, and the local folk relocating the town to that center as a core. It did not become a certified city until 1928.
The heritage of this famed route was/is anchored deep here. The main street in town is Rt 66/Milton Rd. Both ends of town with a distance between of about 10-12 miles are connected to I-40 and Rte 66 is the main exits off the interstate. That is good, and bad. The traffic got rather clustered and traffic back-ups pronounced, especially in rush hours.
Flagstaff enjoys the honor of having three good National Park Service parks right within 10 miles of town. Then it also has the San Francisco Peaks just to the north, and Coconino Forest, and 85 miles away is Grand Canyon-south rim. Besides all that is Sedona to the south about 40 miles
- Pros:A lot of variety things to see/do
- Cons:Too much traffic in the center of town area
- In a nutshell:It is a nice staging place to see other region sites
This is a wonderful highway for views and also to stop and enjoy the small shops, see cabins and campgrounds along the... more travel advice
This town is about 28 miles south of Flagstaff on Hwy 89A. That is the most logical way to come because taking US 17... more travel advice
BruceDunning's Related Pages
Flagstaff Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Flagstaff - Route 66"
- "Flagstaff--Ancient Ruins, Craters & Painted Desert"
- "See Historic Flagstaff in Northern Arizona"
- "Town of Surrounding Sites"
- "Upscale University Town Nearest Grand Canyon"
- "I love Flagstaff"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Flagstaff
- Hotels in Flagstaff
- Transportation in Flagstaff
- Nightlife in Flagstaff
- Restaurants in Flagstaff
- Shopping in Flagstaff
- Warnings and Dangers in Flagstaff
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Flagstaff
- 15 Reviews
- 57 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (129)
Have you been to Flagstaff?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Flagstaff
- updated a Flagstaff Travel Page "Town of Surrounding Sites"
- Posted in Travel Caribbean and Central America Forum "Re: Help with my next vacation!"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Hwy 89A-Red Rock Canyon Road"
- Wrote a Review Hwy 89A-Red Rock Canyon Road in Flagstaff Off The Beaten Path
- Commented on one of Grazina's Flagstaff travel pages
Photos in FlagstaffSee All Photos (57)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas City Intro, 115 reviews, 370 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 91 reviews, 283 photos
- Munich Intro, 68 reviews, 218 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Split Intro, 58 reviews, 227 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 69 reviews, 201 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boston Intro, 62 reviews, 196 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Padova Intro, 55 reviews, 198 photos
- Paris Intro, 45 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bamberg Intro, 48 reviews, 169 photos
- New York City Intro, 50 reviews, 166 photos