"Old Time Spa Treatment" Top 5 Page for this destination Hot Springs by BruceDunning
Hot Springs Travel Guide: 121 reviews and 302 photos
This street of about 6 blocks is the hub of it all. One one side of the street are the bathhouses, and the other shops, promotions to take tours, and restaurants. In the old days, before 1884 the hot spring river ran through the middle and walk across bridges brought people to the various sides. Now the street paves over the stream, and water needed diverted into bathhouses, of drilled down under the buildings.
The town has one main street going through it called Central St. That is where the 8 remaining bathhouses are located. They were built from late 1980's until around 1920's, when hot springs bathes were the cure for ills. The Government has been involved with the area since 1832, when it took control of spring plots due to chaos of the people claiming rights. They improved the area through 1884, and even paved over the hot spring, and by 1920's the last good era was ending. By 1960's all bathhouses were closed. Park Service reopened Fordyce in 1988 as a tour of the past and replicated most rooms and areas.
The eight bathhouses are along a row stretching a long block. They all are niucely preserved, but only two are available for entry; the Fordyce operated by Parks Service for tours of the era of heh days, and Quapaw which is private and offers some hot springs services and treatments. The magnificence of the architecture is what brought me here.
- Pros:Wonderful trip back in time for a happy cure
- Cons:Do not come here in season-traffic will create big delays
- In a nutshell:Once you walk the strip, not much else is around to see
This is a presentation of the area and the turf. It seems like it is hard to maneuver at first, but once you find... more travel advice
The chapel is designed by Maurice Jennings, the same ones who styled the Thorncrown chapel in Eureka Springs. This is... more travel advice
BruceDunning's Related Pages
Hot Springs Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Old Time Spa Treatment"
- "Interstitial National Park Town"
- "My Short Visit to Hot Springs"
- "More than just a honeymoon destination..."
- "Fun for Family"
- "Hot Springs, Arkansas"
- "A place to miss"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hot Springs
- Hotels in Hot Springs
- Transportation in Hot Springs
- Nightlife in Hot Springs
- Restaurants in Hot Springs
- Shopping in Hot Springs
- Warnings and Dangers in Hot Springs
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hot Springs
- 26 Reviews
- 98 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (99)
Have you been to Hot Springs?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hot Springs
- Posted in Travel Caribbean and Central America Forum "Re: Help with my next vacation!"
- Uploaded a Video to Hot Springs
- Uploaded a Photo to "City Maps"
- Wrote a Review City Maps in Hot Springs Things to Do
- updated a Hot Springs Travel Page "Old Time Spa Treatment"
- Commented on one of grandmaR's Hot Springs travel pages
Photos in Hot SpringsSee All Photos (98)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas City Intro, 115 reviews, 370 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 91 reviews, 283 photos
- Munich Intro, 68 reviews, 222 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Split Intro, 58 reviews, 227 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 69 reviews, 201 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boston Intro, 62 reviews, 196 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Padova Intro, 55 reviews, 198 photos
- Paris Intro, 45 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bamberg Intro, 48 reviews, 169 photos
- New York City Intro, 50 reviews, 166 photos