"A Lot of tour sites" Top 5 Page for this destination Fort Smith by BruceDunning
Fort Smith Travel Guide: 66 reviews and 243 photos
This is the original layout of the fort complex, with some buildings still standing. It gives you the feel for the size of the fort area. It was the fort guarding the gateway to the west for over 50 years. Actually it is the second fort after being expanded form the first. Later another fort was built closer in toward the town for safety and away form river floods.
There is a museum on the grounds that is recommended. It depicts the tough life out in west territory and the role Ft. Smith played in keeping order to a wild west. It is good and you could spend 3-4 hours going through it.
This is the original gallows used to hang people for breaking the law. Hanging was more prevalent back then, and many times, posses and marshals were sent out into the territory to bring back a wanted person.
Judge Isaac Parker lived in Ft. Smith for 40 years and got fame for no nonsense harsh penalties, but was a fair person. He tried over 13,000 cases and 79 people were hanged over 21 years on the bench. The territory west of Ft. Smith was Indian reservation, and a very wild and untamed west, even until 1900. There were 60 marshals killed trying to bring in wanted people to the west, but a number of the marshals were also of questionable ethics and repute.
This is the house used to serve the troops and locals and territory wanders whom came into town. It was in operation for over 50 years, and rumor is politicians got paid off to keep open, besides their needing attending for their own services. It actually serves as the visitor center today, and is closest to the river on A Street. A historical society was created in 1977 to preserve some of the town old items and homes, as well as flesh out the museums for improved display
- Pros:A good take on the territory and rough times out west
- Cons:Traffic for a smaller town can backup on highway
- In a nutshell:WE enjoyed the unexpected history tied to the city
For your orientation, these are maps that depict the activity close in toward the river. Rogers and Garrison Streets are... more travel advice
This is apparently a very religious city; it has over 100 churches just within the midtown perimeter. They are of many... more travel advice
BruceDunning's Related Pages
Fort Smith Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "~Fort Smith~"
- "A Lot of tour sites"
- "Fort Smith, Arkansas"
- "Lot's to see, but a bit liveless"
- "susie margaret and fort smith, arkansas, USA"
- "Historic, Small Town Fort Smith"
- "ginasitalian's new Fort Smith page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Fort Smith
- Hotels in Fort Smith
- Nightlife in Fort Smith
- Restaurants in Fort Smith
- Shopping in Fort Smith
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Fort Smith
- 19 Reviews
- 65 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (127)
Have you been to Fort Smith?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fort Smith
- Commented on one of Yaqui's Fort Smith travel pages
- Posted in Travel Caribbean and Central America Forum "Re: Help with my next vacation!"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Fort Smith Other Preserved Structures"
- updated a Fort Smith Travel Page "A Lot of tour sites"
- Wrote a Review Fort Smith Maps in Fort Smith Things to Do
Photos in Fort SmithSee All Photos (65)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas City Intro, 115 reviews, 370 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 91 reviews, 283 photos
- Munich Intro, 68 reviews, 222 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Split Intro, 58 reviews, 227 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 69 reviews, 201 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boston Intro, 62 reviews, 196 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Padova Intro, 55 reviews, 198 photos
- Paris Intro, 45 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bamberg Intro, 48 reviews, 169 photos
- New York City Intro, 50 reviews, 166 photos