"A Mix of Cultures and History" Top 5 Page for this destination Panama by BruceDunning
Panama Travel Guide: 1,665 reviews and 3,987 photos
Panama has had its share of other cultures coming to "help" The canal was surely one of the biggest feats to accomplish and complete. It took over since 1882 to complete and turn over to the locals in 1977. The gig is the Chinese now operate this canal. WOW. Another chance for US to take a dive when we gave it back in 1999 based on 1977 agreement.
Charles I of Spain had a concept for a canal back in 1534, but it took some years; like until 1913 to finish. A rail line was completed in 1850 by the US that helped in transport. The rail still goes that route today. There were 20,000 french that died trying to build the canal, most all from malaria. So the US decided to cure that disease before starting the work.
The country has 3.1 million people, and 70% live in Panama City, which is near the pacific coast side. Total of 50 miles across the isthmus country is the reason to develop the waterway, and the internal systems for agriculture. It first had a railroad built in 1850 by Americans. They have 100,000 US expats living here, and Latin immigrants for some labor jobs. No army, and police are scarce, but states crime is only 1%-of what?
Discovered in 1513 by Pascal de Vagas, the connection to the Pacific connection was kept a secret for 157 years, even with Panama City being built in 1519. Columbus found the land in 1502, and they established Portobello town/fort, just north of Colon in 1597. It means pretty port.
This is a sign falling down. It hopefully is not a note of other thing to come for the country. They have poverty and lower end economy that inhibits the growth of the country in rural areas. Panama is somewhat of a socialize state, so it helps its people, but the infrastructure suffers. Health care is universal, and a clinic cost is $5, but hospitals charges are out of site unless on welfare. That only takes 30 days, if unemployed and below poverty level of around $15,000. The Government gets 18% deduction for health care plus employer and worker pay 23% total for pension/welfare. University costs locals $30 a semester to attend. Minimum wage is $325 a month. An average house costs is $27,000.
- Pros:Lovely vegetation in the country
- Cons:It is a poverty country, especialy in rural-traffic is bad
- In a nutshell:It is not place I would like to see twice-canal is okay
This picture shows you can get a souvenir T shirt, passport, and go to the toilet all in one stop more travel advice
The old town part is not typically used to shop for the cruise ship patrons. It can be "seedy" and make some squirmish... more travel advice
BruceDunning's Related Pages
Panama Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bridge of the Americas!"
- "A Mix of Cultures and History"
- "Panama a beautiful retreat... yet almost unknown"
- "Remote and Beautiful Places"
- "Exciting Panama"
- "Panama - the bridge between the Americas"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Panama
- Hotels in Panama
- Transportation in Panama
- Nightlife in Panama
- Restaurants in Panama
- Shopping in Panama
- Warnings and Dangers in Panama
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Panama
- 37 Reviews
- 146 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (98)
Have you been to Panama?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Panama
- Posted in Travel Caribbean and Central America Forum "Re: Help with my next vacation!"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Portobelo Church Tradition"
- updated a Panama Travel Page "A Mix of Cultures and History"
- Wrote a Review All In One Place to Drop By in Panama Favorites
- Uploaded a Video to Panama
- Commented on one of Ekahau's Panama travel pages
Videos in PanamaSee All Videos (3)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas City Intro, 115 reviews, 370 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 91 reviews, 283 photos
- Munich Intro, 68 reviews, 222 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Split Intro, 58 reviews, 227 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 69 reviews, 201 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boston Intro, 62 reviews, 196 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Padova Intro, 55 reviews, 198 photos
- Paris Intro, 45 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bamberg Intro, 48 reviews, 169 photos
- New York City Intro, 50 reviews, 166 photos