"FAbulous walled Town" Nördlingen by BruceDunning
Nördlingen Travel Guide: 44 reviews and 125 photos
The church became CAthloic after the war in 1634 and the defeat of Protestants. The church has a stand out of 90 (about 270 feet)meter tower which is called DAniel?? It was built between 1427-1505.
The town was Protestant during the Thirty Years War and with attacks from the CAtholic Armies the locals and those from Sweden could not hold the town, it changed to Catholic after a battle in 1634. The army was taken over and thereby the city capitulated to the Swedes, and agreed to be a CAtholic town; not a separate Free Imperial Town any longer. That brought the town under the rule of BAvaria eventually.
A walled town makes for a great adventure. You can walk the whole way on the wall, which is about 1 1/2 miles+. Views of the town interior are fabulous from the wall viewpoint. The town has 5 gates and 16 towers and tow large bastions for ammunition and explosives. It was founded in the 14th century and became a stronghold in 16th-17th centuries.
Old wood timber building on a street in town. There are many homes that date back some centuries that are still used and lived in. The homes that cannot be repaired, need renovation have a requirement that the exterior look and appearance remains intact as if it looked from the days they were built.
The town was first mentioned in 898, the walls were built in 14th century for defense of the region. The town was a "Free Imperial Town" meaning it had free commerce rights, and that allowed them to thrive.
- Pros:An absolutely fabulous walled town with history
- Cons:Not anything I would mention
- In a nutshell:Spend a wekk here to enjoy the lifestyle.
A church was first on this site in 1254. In 1563 it became know as it is today. more travel advice
WE decided it was not worth going inside after seeing how small it was outside. The house is unique in architecture, and... more travel advice
BruceDunning's Related Pages
Nördlingen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "weekend in Nördlingen"
- "From Moscow to Nordlingen"
- "I am molecules inside the nucleus"
- "FAbulous walled Town"
- "Walking on the Nördlinger Wall!"
- "NORDLINGEN, Germany"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Nördlingen
- Hotels in Nördlingen
- Transportation in Nördlingen
- Restaurants in Nördlingen
- Warnings and Dangers in Nördlingen
- See All...
Explore the World
- Greenfield Village Hotels
- Tokyo-to Hotels
- Province of Cebu
- Lanikai Hotels
- Klampenborg Hotels
- Los Alcázares
- Jacksonville Hotels
- Muhafazat al Bahr al Ahmar
- Province of Pangasinan
- Castilla y León
- Ko Khai Nok Hotels
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
Badges & Stats in Nördlingen
- 9 Reviews
- 36 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (93)
Have you been to Nördlingen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nördlingen
- Uploaded a Photo to "Stadtmuseum"
- Wrote a Review Heilig-Geist Spitalkirche in Nördlingen Things to Do
- updated a Nördlingen Travel Page "FAbulous walled Town"
- Posted in Travel Caribbean and Central America Forum "Re: Help with my next vacation!"
- Commented on one of Kuznetsov_Sergey's Nördlingen travel pages
Photos in NördlingenSee All Photos (36)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas City Intro, 115 reviews, 370 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 91 reviews, 283 photos
- Munich Intro, 68 reviews, 222 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Split Intro, 58 reviews, 227 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 69 reviews, 201 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boston Intro, 62 reviews, 196 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Padova Intro, 55 reviews, 198 photos
- Paris Intro, 45 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bamberg Intro, 48 reviews, 169 photos
- New York City Intro, 50 reviews, 166 photos