"A Palace Fit for the Gentry" Oberschleißheim by BruceDunning
Oberschleißheim Travel Guide: 42 reviews and 167 photos
Wilhelm V lived here beginning in 1598 and built a country house and hermitage. They first had the Alte Palace that was built 1617-23 by Duke Maximilian I. His son; Ferdinand Maria died here in 1679,
In 1684-88 Maximilian II Emanueal built the Lustheim Palace for his wife, Maria Antonia, and it has a large banquet hall for events and huge guests meals.
The New Palace, also Baroque was built between 1701-1704, but was only one wing until 1726 when Max Emanuel was involved is Spanish War of Succession. The son, Charles Albert Ii was the heir, but did not have a lot of interest in staying here a lot and preferred the Nymphenburg instead. The new palace was finished in 1763 with more wings and Rococo style was added in some rooms.
All were destroyed in WWII, but meticulously restored to original condition as in the past. Today, the Alte Palace has a museum of Prussian histyory and religious scenes. The New Palace is as if someone lived here yesterday and has elaborate rooms and class. Lustheim holds a lot of Meissen porcelain of plates and statues; all are very nice to see.
It is open 9-5 daily and the combo ticket is 9 Euro
The setting of the old palace is across form the new palace built nearly 100 years later in 1701. It is smaller, but no less elegant inside and out.
This is the larger of the palaces, and has a lot of style and room inside; like the hall of mirrors, the grand hall, and much more.
- Pros:A fantastic place to visit and not tourists here
- Cons:Not much to think of negative
- In a nutshell:A great and elegant place to see
Styled by Henrico Zucalli in 1684, these are some of the finest gardens and greenery around this area of all Germany.... more travel advice
This was built in 1617-23 and now is still reknowned for being one of the most elegant of in Italian village style and... more travel advice
BruceDunning's Related Pages
Oberschleißheim Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Versailles near München"
- "A Palace Fit for the Gentry"
- "Schloss Schleissheim - a huge Baroque palace"
- "Oberschleissheim - Schloss Schleissheim"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Oberschleißheim
- Hotels in Oberschleißheim
- Transportation in Oberschleißheim
- Restaurants in Oberschleißheim
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Oberschleißheim
- 6 Reviews
- 26 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (99)
Have you been to Oberschleißheim?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Oberschleißheim
- updated a Oberschleißheim Travel Page "A Palace Fit for the Gentry"
- Wrote a Review Schlessheim Gardens in Oberschleißheim Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Schlessheim Gardens"
- Commented on one of Kuznetsov_Sergey's Oberschleißheim travel pages
- Posted in Travel Caribbean and Central America Forum "Re: Help with my next vacation!"
Photos in OberschleißheimSee All Photos (26)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas City Intro, 115 reviews, 370 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 91 reviews, 283 photos
- Munich Intro, 68 reviews, 222 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Split Intro, 58 reviews, 227 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 69 reviews, 201 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boston Intro, 62 reviews, 196 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Padova Intro, 55 reviews, 198 photos
- Paris Intro, 45 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bamberg Intro, 48 reviews, 169 photos
- New York City Intro, 50 reviews, 166 photos