"What an Elegant 19th Century Resort" Top 5 Page for this destination Opatija by BruceDunning
Opatija Travel Guide: 184 reviews and 439 photos
Tourism is what makes this town thrive now, and has since 1844. Ignicio Scarpa, a wealthy merchant from Rijeka came here to construct an elegant palace, said to be dedicated to his deceased wife, whom he loved dearly,even though I think he enjoyed it also, and more so since he was alive. He invited many upscale and influential people to come and stay here. That led to more growth and long summer stays for those people to enjoy the climate and beach.
Southern Railway Company of Vienna bought the Angiolina in 1882, and then build Hotel Hvarner in 1884 to meet tourist demands. Now there are over 20 major hotels in the resort area
The park was created shortly after the palace was finished. There were 159 plant species imported from around the world, and therefore, not indigenous to this climate, but they survived. The park was developed and expanded between 1845-60, and surrounded the Villa. It covers 3.64 hectares, and sectioned into 60 different themes, even though it looks merged for the most part. Now the garden park is divided into some by church of St. Jacob, and the rest at the Villa Angiolina
This resort town got a footing from Austrian gentry that started to build in last half of 1800's in the style of what was popular back in Vienna. There were 120 buildings in about 1850, and today has over 20 decorative hotels, and many decorated and colorful structures; mostly businesses now.
- Pros:Very beautiful and decorative buildings in upscale resort
- Cons:Parking can be difficult-too many people walking around
- In a nutshell:After the stroll around to see the ornate buildings-what next?
Excellent and friendly waiters-classy place at a decent price value The steak was very good, and even had a touch of... more travel advice
BruceDunning's Related Pages
Opatija Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "OPATIJA - THE NICE OF ADRIATIC"
- "Opatija and surroundings."
- "What an Elegant 19th Century Resort"
- "Opatija - jewel of Croatian coast"
- "Sun, water and fun!!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Opatija
- Hotels in Opatija
- Transportation in Opatija
- Nightlife in Opatija
- Restaurants in Opatija
- Shopping in Opatija
- Warnings and Dangers in Opatija
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Opatija
- 13 Reviews
- 43 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (98)
Have you been to Opatija?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Opatija
- Posted in Travel Caribbean and Central America Forum "Re: Help with my next vacation!"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Good Locals and Friendly"
- Wrote a Review Good Locals and Friendly in Opatija Restaurants
- updated a Opatija Travel Page "What an Elegant 19th Century Resort"
- Commented on one of mikey_e's Opatija travel pages
Photos in OpatijaSee All Photos (43)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas City Intro, 115 reviews, 370 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 91 reviews, 283 photos
- Munich Intro, 68 reviews, 222 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Split Intro, 58 reviews, 227 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 69 reviews, 201 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boston Intro, 62 reviews, 196 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Padova Intro, 55 reviews, 198 photos
- Paris Intro, 45 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bamberg Intro, 48 reviews, 169 photos
- New York City Intro, 50 reviews, 166 photos