"A Nice Island With Preserved Monuments" Top 5 Page for this destination Porec by BruceDunning
Porec Travel Guide: 310 reviews and 719 photos
There is over 2,000 years of history packed into this small island. In 2nd century BC, the Romans were situated here and settling the territory. They built a Roman Castrum on what some is now where Euphrasius church is located. In the 1st century AD it became a Roman designated city, and by the by around 300 AD, it was a Christian community with religious depth.
IN early 500 AD the Byzantines maintained control to protect the territory and the rest of Italy, after marauding by Ostrogoths in the area. Later in 600-700 AD the Slav/Croat culture came to settle, and for the next 400-500 years control traded between Italian factions, northern tribes, and the Byzantine Eastern Empire. The plague of 1600's nearly wiped out the population. That changed when people from the south came here for protection from the Turks in 1500-1600 era. Then came the Venetians, France, and Austrians until 1918, when Italy got control again. After WWII they got kicked out and the new Yugoslav Republic took over. Now they are independent, and the 1991-95 war was another day of the past.
This church complex dates back to the 6th century, and the Bishops palace. The compound is very large, and steeped in history. The church interior is adorned with a number of mosaics, and paintings from that time period. The rest of the complex includes a nice baptistery, and the living quarters of the Bishops & Nuns.
There are a number of very old structures around the old town, and they hold a lot of histories of how they were constructed and how they are preserved today.
- Pros:Plan a route to see the sites and a lot of Euphrasius church
- Cons:Store owners & restaurants nearly drag you in to buy
- In a nutshell:A great place for a day-Euphrasisus church is fabulous
This complex is form the 13th century and some old, other new. It apparently now is some type of town administrative... more travel advice
I find that seeing the layout and reading maps helps find things before you get there. See the attachment for ready... more travel advice
BruceDunning's Related Pages
Porec Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Poreč/Parenzo, a cross road in Europe !"
- "POREC - PARENZO"
- "A Nice Island With Preserved Monuments"
- "Welcome to Porec( from a guides perspective)"
- "Porec and Istria...My Little Heaven"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Porec
- Hotels in Porec
- Transportation in Porec
- Nightlife in Porec
- Restaurants in Porec
- Shopping in Porec
- Warnings and Dangers in Porec
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Porec
- 21 Reviews
- 73 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (128)
Have you been to Porec?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Porec
- Posted in Travel Caribbean and Central America Forum "Re: Help with my next vacation!"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Fransican church & monastery"
- Wrote a Review Fransican church & monastery in Porec Things to Do
- updated a Porec Travel Page "A Nice Island With Preserved Monuments"
- Commented on one of JLBG's Porec travel pages
Photos in PorecSee All Photos (73)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas City Intro, 115 reviews, 370 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 91 reviews, 283 photos
- Munich Intro, 68 reviews, 218 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Split Intro, 58 reviews, 227 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 69 reviews, 201 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boston Intro, 62 reviews, 196 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Padova Intro, 55 reviews, 198 photos
- Paris Intro, 45 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bamberg Intro, 48 reviews, 169 photos
- New York City Intro, 50 reviews, 166 photos