"City With Elegant Buildings and Streets" Top 5 Page for this destination Rijeka by BruceDunning
Rijeka Travel Guide: 276 reviews and 556 photos
The city is the 3rd largest in Croatia, and has about 150,000 people in the immediate city area, but with suburbs, the number swells to about 250,000. It is a major sea trading port today based on the Kvarner BAy.
In early times, there was a Celtic tribe that settled in the hlls, and in early AD the Romans started a town along the sea and brought the populas down to there. It has bveen under Byzantine, Lombard, Frank, Venetian, control until Austria gained the territory in 1466.
Due to Turk invasions in 1500's, the city languished and went into decline until Hungarians-nee Austrian empire- came here in 1700's. That started a vibrance of trade again of oil, iron, wood, wool and leather as main staples. Italy got control of the area after WWI, and then Tito brought it back to life until 1990's, when again decline happened. With economic assitance and getting over he internal war, tourism began again in early 2000 decade.
Trsat castle has a long heritage, and was the original settlement of the Celtic tribes. The Romans moved them down to the water edge, but this was the stronghold and strategic position to protect the town. Frankopans controlled the castle in 13-15th centuries, and later the Austrians took control. In 1750 is was very much destroyed from an earthquake, and Laval Nugent bought the castle to restore it and make it his residence.
Later the castle declined and only in last decades got a resurgance to draw tourists to the top with restaurants, cafes, and art galleries. The locals like to come here and enjoy the views.
Ploech Palace was built in 1880 by one of the inventors of the torpedo. His name was Annibale Ploech and he had inventive vent as chief engineer on the torpedo work. He married the daughter of Robert Whitehead, an engineer and coowner of the torpedo company. This design of the building with many ornate Baroque features and window dressings, besides all the stone figures that abound.
- Pros:A lot of very elegant buildings with ornate facades
- Cons:Museums are closed and Kosro crowded
- In a nutshell:Plan a route to see the sites-since there are many
This may provide some perspective of what the location looks like from a map viewpoint. Finding you way down into the... more travel advice
The highway ends just about 5 mile south of Rijeka and then the dilemma is to take A6 toward Zagreb and then connect... more travel advice
BruceDunning's Related Pages
Rijeka Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "City With Elegant Buildings and Streets"
- "Short visit"
- "A City Coveted by Many"
- "Adriatic Port"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Rijeka
- Hotels in Rijeka
- Transportation in Rijeka
- Nightlife in Rijeka
- Restaurants in Rijeka
- Shopping in Rijeka
- Warnings and Dangers in Rijeka
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Rijeka
- 38 Reviews
- 140 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (101)
Have you been to Rijeka?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rijeka
- Posted in Travel Caribbean and Central America Forum "Re: Help with my next vacation!"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Buses Are Best to Get ARound"
- Wrote a Review Rijeka Region Map in Rijeka Things to Do
- updated a Rijeka Travel Page "City With Elegant Buildings and Streets"
- Commented on one of mikey_e's Rijeka travel pages
Photos in RijekaSee All Photos (140)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas City Intro, 115 reviews, 370 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 91 reviews, 283 photos
- Munich Intro, 68 reviews, 222 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Split Intro, 58 reviews, 227 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 69 reviews, 201 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boston Intro, 62 reviews, 196 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Padova Intro, 55 reviews, 198 photos
- Paris Intro, 45 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bamberg Intro, 48 reviews, 169 photos
- New York City Intro, 50 reviews, 166 photos