"An Island Oasis and Winding Streets" Rovinj by BruceDunning
Rovinj Travel Guide: 374 reviews and 1,033 photos
This was a decent defense for the migrant people, so they started to occupy the island around the 4th century. As time went by the Croats/Slavs came here to settle. They needed protection from attackers and Dubrovnik had a fleet of ships that traversed these waters, so they made a pact to trade goods and it was a north port for Dubrovnik. However, in time The southern town could not defend Rovinj, which fell under Venetian rule in the 1600's. It managed to survive through Austrian and Italian rule over the next couple of hundred years, but went into decline in late 1800's.
Tourism has brought it back to fame, and they got that idea nearly 100 years ago, so now it is founded pretty well.
The Italian influence still prevails, as much here, and maybe more than other Istrian towns. The language is almost divided between Croat and Italiano. Our knowledge came in handy to communicate in Italian and we studied some Hrvatski also. The locals liked that a lot, and became quickly friendly for our trying to adapt to the culture. The irony is that maybe 5% are remaining Italians in the town since they were "moved out" after WWII. However, the language prevailed for a lot of those folks and it passed on down the to next generation.
The town has the houses but up against the water's edge, similar to what you would find in a lot of Italian towns. This was for protection as well as being able to make use of all the room possible
- Pros:Wonderful time seeing the churches and walking winding streets
- Cons:It Would be packed with tourists in the summer on narrow streets
- In a nutshell:A nice place for great views of the town and harbor
This always helps me get a perspective of what, when where and how, so here is a map to study and help you get around more travel advice
The main reason for coming here is to see the various Venetian, Romanesque and other architectural magnificent... more travel advice
BruceDunning's Related Pages
Rovinj Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Rovinj, a must visit !"
- "Is the Rest of Croatia as Beautiful as Rovinj ?"
- "Rovinj - Rovigno"
- "The Medieval Rovinj..."
- "Rovinj in the sun, some of the time"
- "An Island Oasis and Winding Streets"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Rovinj
- Hotels in Rovinj
- Transportation in Rovinj
- Nightlife in Rovinj
- Restaurants in Rovinj
- Shopping in Rovinj
- Warnings and Dangers in Rovinj
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Rovinj
- 16 Reviews
- 50 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (128)
Have you been to Rovinj?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rovinj
Photos in RovinjSee All Photos (50)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas City Intro, 115 reviews, 370 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 91 reviews, 283 photos
- Munich Intro, 68 reviews, 218 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Split Intro, 58 reviews, 227 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 69 reviews, 201 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boston Intro, 62 reviews, 196 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Padova Intro, 55 reviews, 198 photos
- Paris Intro, 45 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bamberg Intro, 48 reviews, 169 photos
- New York City Intro, 50 reviews, 166 photos