"A Town for Strolling the Promenade" Top 5 Page for this destination Trogir by BruceDunning
Trogir Travel Guide: 198 reviews and 673 photos
This island town is only 20 miles from Split and a nice visits for one day. There are sites to take in such as CAthedral of St. Lovre and bell tower, museum(but it was closed and has been for 2 years-so wait it out), Kamerlengo fortress at the end of the island, Lucic Palace, Town square and clock tower to name a few. There are not many places where you can go inside for viewing, or touring, though. The walk along the promenade is very nice.
Trogi was called Tragurion, or Trau and occupied by Greeks in 3rd century BC. They traded goods and it was a ship building area. Later Romans took over, and in 1132 the Saracens destroyed much of the town. Venice rule started in 1420 and lasted until Austria 1797. Then after WWI, it was independent and eventually became the state of Yugoslovia. It is an island with the canal for protection form land side intrusion, so defense was a goal of the old times. The town expanded with commerce of ship building, and trade of goods from distant places, and today; of course tourism is the main stay. Romans controlled the area for 600 years. By 1100 the Hungarian and Croat cultures settled here, but in 1132 the Islam Arabs destroyed the town. With the control by Venetians in 1420-1800, it again thrived, and the architecture is mostly from that era, even though St. Barbara church is from 9th century and St. Ivan Kristel and St. Lawrence from 13th century. The defense wall surrounding the town was destroyed during Austria rule of 1800-1918. The town is a UNESCO site now.
The town is easy walking and all flat ground. The promenade is very nice and clean with trees and open area to take in the scenery and boats docked along the water edge. AT the south end are the town main sites of churches and administrative offices with palaces also. The west end has the remains of Fortress Kamerlengo and St. Marks tower
The main square has the clock tower, town hall and loggia, Cipiko palaces (under renovation) and is close to the museum (now closed and may not reopen for quite some time for lack of money).
- Pros:Pretty scenery and water front
- Cons:Not a lot of cultural things to do-eat and walk are main topics
- In a nutshell:Will have too many tourists and bus loads in summer
They need to clean up the trash containers and empty them more often. There was nearly everyone full to the brim and... more travel advice
We arrived here on May 1st, so it was time to do as the locals do. We sat down, talked crude Croatian language and drank... more travel advice
BruceDunning's Related Pages
Trogir Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Trogir, an island from the Middle Ages"
- "Trogir - the gem of Adriatic"
- "Trogir, Croatia"
- "A Town for Strolling the Promenade"
- "Paradise in little"
- "Trogir - the UNESCO world heritage museum town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Trogir
- Hotels in Trogir
- Transportation in Trogir
- Nightlife in Trogir
- Restaurants in Trogir
- Shopping in Trogir
- Warnings and Dangers in Trogir
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Trogir
- 25 Reviews
- 89 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (98)
Have you been to Trogir?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Trogir
- Posted in Travel Caribbean and Central America Forum "Re: Help with my next vacation!"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Trash is All Over"
- Wrote a Review Trash is All Over in Trogir Warnings and Dangers
- updated a Trogir Travel Page "A Town for Strolling the Promenade"
- Commented on one of JLBG's Trogir travel pages
Photos in TrogirSee All Photos (89)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas City Intro, 115 reviews, 370 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 91 reviews, 283 photos
- Munich Intro, 68 reviews, 222 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Split Intro, 58 reviews, 227 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 69 reviews, 201 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boston Intro, 62 reviews, 196 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Padova Intro, 55 reviews, 198 photos
- Paris Intro, 45 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bamberg Intro, 48 reviews, 169 photos
- New York City Intro, 50 reviews, 166 photos