"City with a Soul" Top 5 Page for this destination Zadar by BruceDunning
Zadar Travel Guide: 372 reviews and 1,194 photos
This has been a living community for 3,000 years. First writings of the village of Jadera date back to 4th century BC and was built by a tribe of Liburns (Illyrian culture). Roman got control around the 2nd century BC. and created a town feature with the typical Roman structure of streets, bathes, markets, and the like. The town was attacked and severely damaged during the Visigoth intrusion. Later the citizens fought off the Venetians around 1200, which eventually took over control in early 1400's. Then came the Turks in 16-17tyh centuries who tried to take over the region. This caused the town to build a lot of defenses that withstood the onslaught. After Venetians lost control, the Austrians took over in 1797 and kept control for most of the time until 1918. Then Italy took over the rule until the end of WWII. After the devastation of WWII, the town had to have a major rebuild.
The city is know for its artists and galleries. There are around a dozen major galleries, and many smaller stores along the side streets. It has a major street for everyday upscale shopping for the locals, and even some tourists with a passion to buy. It is called Spire Brusine and runs through the middle of the old town about half way where is ends at the main sites.
One of the more fabulous sites is the Donat church from the 9th century and very much intact. The site was a Roman place for Pagan worship originally, and well built to last a long time. They have four patron saints to insure they are covered well in times of tragedy and plagues.
Besides this visit, there are a number of other church spires around town for viewing and over viewing of the terrain on the island if you get on the bell towers for the sites.
- Pros:Some good sites and the walking along the water is nice
- Cons:Grafitti is prevalent around many sites & maintained well
- In a nutshell:Good place to take a rest and the Views
There is more than the unusual woman wearing spike heels of 5-6" and tight jeans. This is the culture, and I must say,... more travel advice
There are a number of yachts that are form around the world that dock here. It seems like a good spot to spend a lot of... more travel advice
BruceDunning's Related Pages
Zadar Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "stones well beaten and sounds of the sea"
- "City with a Soul"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Zadar
- Hotels in Zadar
- Transportation in Zadar
- Nightlife in Zadar
- Restaurants in Zadar
- Shopping in Zadar
- Warnings and Dangers in Zadar
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Zadar
- 34 Reviews
- 123 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (98)
Have you been to Zadar?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Zadar
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas City Intro, 115 reviews, 370 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 91 reviews, 283 photos
- Munich Intro, 68 reviews, 222 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Split Intro, 58 reviews, 227 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 69 reviews, 201 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boston Intro, 62 reviews, 196 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Padova Intro, 55 reviews, 198 photos
- Paris Intro, 45 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bamberg Intro, 48 reviews, 169 photos
- New York City Intro, 50 reviews, 166 photos