"Town Activity" Salzburg by BruceDunning
Salzburg Travel Guide: 2,587 reviews and 5,966 photos
The city was called Rome of the north. Salz means salt in the language. It was free from attacks and battles for 1000 years and stayed neutral most of the time. The newer section was destroyed in WWII. but the old p[art of town remained intact. Every year there are over 1 million visitors to the city.
There are courtyards that are mostly hidden from the street, and then if you happen upon one, venture in-for public ones only. They have small shops and eating places, not advertised heavily from the main street. If you are a local, you just know where to go. The town is full of baroque architecture. Salzburg means "salt castle" and they used to charge boats traveling the Salzach river that carried a lot of salt. A landmark turning point for residents was in 1731 all Protestants were made to move out; 21,000 of them.
The castle is the largest preserved in Europe and is form 1077. Archbishop Gerhart was the first to occupy. and has been a prison and military barracks besides a protection fortress. It is across the river and a whole mini town is inside for viewing.
- Pros:Lovely architecture on every street to observe
- Cons:Can get lost with winding streets-get a map and then??
- In a nutshell:One of the more beautiful cities for going back in time
This is an area that is worth one trip. The architecture is nice and the walk refreshing around the structure besides... more travel advice
The city needs to be seen by walking. It has a semi-circular route, but also pick out your direction and things you want... more travel advice
BruceDunning's Related Pages
Salzburg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mozarts Music and Mozart's Kugeln & Nockerl"
- "The Hidden Wonders of Salzburg - A MUST SEE!"
- "One order of Salzburg, please . . ."
- "Fairyland for Real......"
- "SALZBURG - A CITY I LOVED!"
- "Salzburg and the central Austria lake region."
- "Mozart Music and More"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Salzburg
- Hotels in Salzburg
- Transportation in Salzburg
- Nightlife in Salzburg
- Restaurants in Salzburg
- Shopping in Salzburg
- Warnings and Dangers in Salzburg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Salzburg
- 7 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 14 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (126)
Have you been to Salzburg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Salzburg
- Posted in Travel Caribbean and Central America Forum "Re: Help with my next vacation!"
- Commented on one of Maryimelda's Salzburg travel pages
- updated a Salzburg Travel Page "Town Activity"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Town Activity"
- Wrote a Review Dom Church -the Rear about Dome and Cathedral in Salzburg Things to Do
Photos in SalzburgSee All Photos (21)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas City Intro, 115 reviews, 370 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 91 reviews, 283 photos
- Munich Intro, 68 reviews, 222 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Split Intro, 58 reviews, 227 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 69 reviews, 201 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boston Intro, 62 reviews, 196 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Padova Intro, 55 reviews, 198 photos
- Paris Intro, 45 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bamberg Intro, 48 reviews, 169 photos
- New York City Intro, 50 reviews, 166 photos