"Gaudi is Not the Only Site in the City" Barcelona by BruceDunning

Barcelona Travel Guide: 9,678 reviews and 22,280 photos

History of Pride and Independence

Many people think of Gaudi structures when Barcelona comes to mind, but there are other decorative sites to find also. The city was founded by Romans in 215BC, even though they used Tarragona to the south as the main focus. Franks invaded in 400's, and by 700's the Muslims took control. It was the feats of James I of Aragon to retake the area back and develop it as a trade center of the Mediterranean goods. By 1400 there was a movement for independence and Catalunya pride of Castilian heritage. This lasted through the 1800's, and still does today, but to a lesser extent, and by the Spanish Revolution, it gained fame as a key city on the coast.
The 1992 Olympics brought some unpopular areas into recognition, and a number of buildings were constructed to the event.

Wonderful architecture around the city

Within the old part of the city are some nice architectural structures, and of course churches are some of them. Besides Antonio Gaudi sites, there are others that need to be seen for the nice styles and embellished accoutrements.
Plot out a map and the best method of seeing sites is to walk to them since buses are crowded, and subways do not get you to the spots needed

You Lose Money Either Way

The city is modern day in some regards, and the prices of items for gifts and food are more expensive than one would like. All of the Gaudi sites are overrated and the fees to enter exorbitant, besides the long lines to wait to get inside. Maybe it is that I got pickpockted; not once but TWICE. That jaundiced me against the city, but other factors further contributed to the disappointments while we were there.
THIS CITY IS ONE THAT I PUT IN MY MEMORY TO NOT RETURN, AND HOPE OTHERS TAKE NOTE. BESIDES HAVING A 1 IN 5 CHANCE OF GETTING PICKPOCKETED, THERE ARE OTHER AREAS THAT FESTER CRIME THAT YOU NEED TO STAY AWAY FROM. FURTHER, THE CROWDS ARE SO PACKED-IT IS THE MOST DENSE IN THE WORLD THAT IT IS UNBEARABLE TO WALK. OTHER REASONS IS STREETS JAMMED WITH VEHICLES, PRICES ON SITES AND MUSEUMS ARE EXTREMELY HIGH, LINES VERY LONG WAIT, AND THE FOOD IS BARELY EDIBLE IS SOME AREAS OF THE CITY.

• Pros:Unique architecture design seen here by Gaudi
  • Cons:Pickpockets abound, crowds and traffic jams, prices extreme
  • In a nutshell:Crowds. pickpockets, traffic jams, high prices, and food is bad
  • Last visit to Barcelona: Oct 2011
  • Intro Updated Dec 5, 2011

• breughel's Profile Photo
    May 30, 2013 at 11:04 AM

Like you I became, nearly, victim of a pickpocket in Barcelona. They were three at the exit of the metro but failed in their attempt because my daughter saw it and warned me. Two did run away and the third one was clenched against the wall by my family. We did not hit him and let him go, often they have knives. On the other side of the avenue he shouted at us in French so that we concluded he was not a Catalan but from North Africa. We are used to them in Brussels.

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
      May 30, 2013 at 11:37 AM

I have a definite unfavorable opinion of Barcelona because of pickpockets, but also homeless, unemployed, maddening traffic and crowds. Once is enough and good you got out of the situation unscathed. Thanks for the viewing

• nicolaitan's Profile Photo
    Aug 16, 2012 at 7:49 AM

great page - the high spots and the low spots. so much to do, so hard to do it. crime is everywhere - we lost a loaded pocketbook while eating in a vienna restaurant. but the buildings do look great. and leave it to the germans to find cheap beer.

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo
    Feb 25, 2012 at 4:58 PM

Bruce, you really have Barcelona covered. I love the city and I admire the Gaudi works. The Park Guell was one of my favorite sites. Been to the Port Vell twice for cruises

• Maurizioago's Profile Photo
    Dec 19, 2011 at 4:47 AM

I have to re visit Barcelona one day.

Ciao!

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Dec 12, 2011 at 9:03 AM

Great VT-job! Thank you Bruce for bringing back memory about my very short stay in Barcelona... You have seen a lot and managed to write about it so successful. Hope come back to Barcelona someday...

• aussirose's Profile Photo
    Dec 6, 2011 at 9:18 PM

Brought back happy memories Bruce. I still have to get around to building my Barcelona page....one day... We had fun in this lively city! Hugs, Ann.

• Roadquill's Profile Photo
    Dec 5, 2011 at 4:57 PM

Hi Bruce, Good start on your BCN page. We were just there at the end of October. Sorry about your picked wallet experience. I lost my travel wallet with $100 on the Madrid metro about 6 years ago. Now it is a game, and I welcome the encounter. Much to the chagrin of a dude who tried to slip into my camera bag a few years ago in Pamplona. Best, Karl

BruceDunning

“Our ultimate and final trip is to "City" in the clouds”

Badges & Stats in Barcelona

Have you been to Barcelona?

Latest Activity in Barcelona