"Gaudi is Not the Only Site in the City" Barcelona by BruceDunning
Barcelona Travel Guide: 9,678 reviews and 22,280 photos
Many people think of Gaudi structures when Barcelona comes to mind, but there are other decorative sites to find also. The city was founded by Romans in 215BC, even though they used Tarragona to the south as the main focus. Franks invaded in 400's, and by 700's the Muslims took control. It was the feats of James I of Aragon to retake the area back and develop it as a trade center of the Mediterranean goods. By 1400 there was a movement for independence and Catalunya pride of Castilian heritage. This lasted through the 1800's, and still does today, but to a lesser extent, and by the Spanish Revolution, it gained fame as a key city on the coast.
The 1992 Olympics brought some unpopular areas into recognition, and a number of buildings were constructed to the event.
Within the old part of the city are some nice architectural structures, and of course churches are some of them. Besides Antonio Gaudi sites, there are others that need to be seen for the nice styles and embellished accoutrements.
Plot out a map and the best method of seeing sites is to walk to them since buses are crowded, and subways do not get you to the spots needed
The city is modern day in some regards, and the prices of items for gifts and food are more expensive than one would like. All of the Gaudi sites are overrated and the fees to enter exorbitant, besides the long lines to wait to get inside. Maybe it is that I got pickpockted; not once but TWICE. That jaundiced me against the city, but other factors further contributed to the disappointments while we were there.
THIS CITY IS ONE THAT I PUT IN MY MEMORY TO NOT RETURN, AND HOPE OTHERS TAKE NOTE. BESIDES HAVING A 1 IN 5 CHANCE OF GETTING PICKPOCKETED, THERE ARE OTHER AREAS THAT FESTER CRIME THAT YOU NEED TO STAY AWAY FROM. FURTHER, THE CROWDS ARE SO PACKED-IT IS THE MOST DENSE IN THE WORLD THAT IT IS UNBEARABLE TO WALK. OTHER REASONS IS STREETS JAMMED WITH VEHICLES, PRICES ON SITES AND MUSEUMS ARE EXTREMELY HIGH, LINES VERY LONG WAIT, AND THE FOOD IS BARELY EDIBLE IS SOME AREAS OF THE CITY.
- Pros:Unique architecture design seen here by Gaudi
- Cons:Pickpockets abound, crowds and traffic jams, prices extreme
- In a nutshell:Crowds. pickpockets, traffic jams, high prices, and food is bad
These mountain ranges are 4,000 feet high, and it has some other churches/monasteries besides the main one. more travel advice
This is a monastery in the mountains 4,000 feet up, and about 30 miles south of the city. It is a fantastic trip and the... more travel advice
BruceDunning's Related Pages
Barcelona Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Barcelona es bona..."
- "Seamandrew's Barcelona Page"
- "Truly Catalunya, Truly Spain"
- "Barcelona,one of the most beautiful Spanish cities"
- "Addictive Barcelona"
- "BCN, a mediterranean capital"
- "Gaudi is Not the Only Site in the City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Barcelona
- Hotels in Barcelona
- Transportation in Barcelona
- Nightlife in Barcelona
- Restaurants in Barcelona
- Shopping in Barcelona
- Warnings and Dangers in Barcelona
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Barcelona
- 69 Reviews
- 201 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (100)
Have you been to Barcelona?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Barcelona
- Commented on one of BruceDunning's Barcelona travel pages
- Posted in Travel Caribbean and Central America Forum "Re: Help with my next vacation!"
- Wrote a Review Montserrat Mountains about Montserrat in Barcelona Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Montserrat Mountains"
- updated a Barcelona Travel Page "Gaudi is Not the Only Site in the City"
- Uploaded a Video to Barcelona
Photos in BarcelonaSee All Photos (201)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas City Intro, 115 reviews, 370 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 91 reviews, 283 photos
- Munich Intro, 68 reviews, 222 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Split Intro, 58 reviews, 227 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 69 reviews, 201 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boston Intro, 62 reviews, 196 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Padova Intro, 55 reviews, 198 photos
- Paris Intro, 45 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bamberg Intro, 48 reviews, 169 photos
- New York City Intro, 50 reviews, 166 photos