"The Island of Year Round Sun" Top 5 Page for this destination Las Palmas de Gran Canaria by BruceDunning
Las Palmas de Gran Canaria Travel Guide: 188 reviews and 434 photos
The claim to Las Palmas is it is the best climate all year round, with medium temperatures and not much rain. That was true the day we were there. Temps range from 64 to 73 F throughout the year. There is an average of 85% sunny hours in the year, or a total of 2,8o0 of those sunny hours, and rainfall only averages 5 inches.
This ideal climate; claiming to be the best in the world by some researchers, makes it a mecca for beach enthusiasts.
Las Palmas Gran Canaria is one of seven island chain that has about 2 1/2 million residents. The city of Las Palmas has 383,000 people, of 700,000 on this island. Tourism is the main theme on all islands, and 12 million tourists show up to suck up the sun and shop every year.
This island is about 93 miles off the Africa coast, and close to Morocco. It was founded by Juan Rejon in 1478. It is a focal point for shipping between America and Europe, and a number of ships (11,000) stop off here on the way. There are also 900,000 cruise ship passengers dropped off here to see and shop.
We arrived via a cruise ship, of which many stop here annually at the Santa Caterina docks. The docks are a fairly long distance from the main old part of the city; called Vegueta, and is about 3-4 miles from the dock area. The main part of the city is Palza de Santa Ana, and closer. There is also a shopping area near by called El Muelle, and is the high rise mall concept.
Passengers from the ships, which is over 900,000, can be a burden on traffic and waling along the shopping avenues.
- Pros:A lot of shopping areas and nice stroll down the avenues
- Cons:Crowded and narrow streets and too much shopping slant
- In a nutshell:A nice place to walk around the back streets, away from tourism
We walked about 1 1/2 miles into the Park Doramas area, near Park Santa CAtalina; the main local place to live and shop.... more travel advice
If you are able to find the special buses that take cruise ships patrons to Vegueta from Santa CAtalina dock, the price... more travel advice
BruceDunning's Related Pages
Las Palmas de Gran Canaria Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "THE BEST CLIMATE YEAR AROUND!"
- "LAS PALMAS"
- "The Island of Year Round Sun"
- "Las Palmas - The capital city of Gran Canaria."
- "Gran Canaria - Fragil Rock1"
- "Las Palmas - additional random photos of the city."
- "Vast Sand Dunes and a Lot More Too!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Las Palmas de Gran Canaria
- Hotels in Las Palmas de Gran Canaria
- Transportation in Las Palmas de Gran Canaria
- Nightlife in Las Palmas de Gran Canaria
- Restaurants in Las Palmas de Gran Canaria
- Shopping in Las Palmas de Gran Canaria
- Warnings and Dangers in Las Palmas de Gran Canaria
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Las Palmas de Gran Canaria
- 19 Reviews
- 53 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (127)
Have you been to Las Palmas de Gran Canaria?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Las Palmas de Gran Canaria
- Posted in Travel Caribbean and Central America Forum "Re: Help with my next vacation!"
- Wrote a Review Be Careful in Local Neighorhoods in Las Palmas de Gran Canaria Warnings and Dangers
- Uploaded a Photo to "Traffic Jams"
- updated a Las Palmas de Gran Canaria Travel Page "The Island of Year Round Sun"
- Commented on one of Maria_75's Las Palmas de Gran Canaria travel pages
Photos in Las Palmas de Gran CanariaSee All Photos (53)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas City Intro, 115 reviews, 370 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 91 reviews, 283 photos
- Munich Intro, 68 reviews, 222 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Split Intro, 58 reviews, 227 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 69 reviews, 201 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boston Intro, 62 reviews, 196 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Padova Intro, 55 reviews, 198 photos
- Paris Intro, 45 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bamberg Intro, 48 reviews, 169 photos
- New York City Intro, 50 reviews, 166 photos