"An Island for Sunny Days" Top 5 Page for this destination Palma de Mallorca by BruceDunning
Palma de Mallorca Travel Guide: 783 reviews and 2,091 photos
The cathedral is the anchor monument in the middle of what was the old section of the city. Mallorca is also spelled Majorca (larger city meaning) and has a long history of occupancy dating back to 6000BC. Romans conquered the region and this island in 123BC by a Roman general called Balearicus, which today carries his names for the sting of islands. VAndals took control of the area in 426AD, but only had control until Byzantine occupied the region beginning in 534AD. From 700AD until 902 Ad, Muslims continued to attack and try to take over the area. It did maintain control until 1229 AD, when King James I of Aragon kicked out the Muslims.
The islands still had difficulties in maintaining a solid government, and not until the Spanish Civil War did it finally come to some sort of peace and prosperity again.
The city of Palma is situated in a protected bay at the south end of the island. The Balearic Islands are located off the Spain coast in the Mediterranean Sea about 100 from the mainland. Palma became the focal point for the island and is the capital of the Balearic Islands. Population of this island is 500,000, with 400,000 of those people living in Palma proper.
Piracy and illegal trades during the Muslim period was prevalent for many decades, until around 1200 era, when commerce became a more worthy capitalistic venture.
A very nice stretch of land was preserved for a park and water pools alongside the bay edge. It is nice for strolling and looking inward to the sites just behind the park. The old city walls were torn down in the 18th century, but many of the narrow streets laid out during Muslim occupation remained.
- Pros:Nice well preserved sites and church is magnificent
- Cons:Can get extremely crowded-even off season
- In a nutshell:A Nice One Day trip, if only less tourists-cruise ships
A large number of tourists arrive here annually; like 6 million, so it goes without saying the airport could get crowded... more travel advice
Throughout the old town area, I I imagine in the whole city there are bronze trash cans that are used for recycling of... more travel advice
BruceDunning's Related Pages
Palma de Mallorca Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Welcome-Bienvenido-Dobro pasholavut"
- "Mallorca Island a paradise on earth"
- "An Island for Sunny Days"
- "Palma de Mallorca ~ A Mediterranean Beauty"
- "Mallorca - Hot Water, Great City, Cool Landscapes"
- "Magnificent City of Palma de Mallorca"
- "Palma de Mallorca"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Palma de Mallorca
- Hotels in Palma de Mallorca
- Transportation in Palma de Mallorca
- Nightlife in Palma de Mallorca
- Restaurants in Palma de Mallorca
- Shopping in Palma de Mallorca
- Warnings and Dangers in Palma de Mallorca
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Palma de Mallorca
- 21 Reviews
- 56 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (128)
Have you been to Palma de Mallorca?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Palma de Mallorca
- updated a Palma de Mallorca Travel Page "An Island for Sunny Days"
- Posted in Travel Caribbean and Central America Forum "Re: Help with my next vacation!"
- Wrote a Review One Busy Airport about By Air in Palma de Mallorca Transportation
- Uploaded a Photo to "Sailboating is Vogue"
- Commented on one of dlytle's Palma de Mallorca travel pages
Photos in Palma de MallorcaSee All Photos (56)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas City Intro, 115 reviews, 370 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 91 reviews, 283 photos
- Munich Intro, 68 reviews, 218 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Split Intro, 58 reviews, 227 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 69 reviews, 201 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boston Intro, 62 reviews, 196 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Padova Intro, 55 reviews, 198 photos
- Paris Intro, 45 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bamberg Intro, 48 reviews, 169 photos
- New York City Intro, 50 reviews, 166 photos