"A great Tour" Carrara by BruceDunning
Carrara Travel Guide: 11 reviews and 45 photos
They keep digging out sections of the mountain. After all these years, apparently there is still more to dig. About 300,000 square meters are carved out yearly. Franco Barattini owns the three active quarries that marble is carved from. The colors are not only the famous white marble, but also about 50 other colors, besides granite in various colors.
The trucks do get up speed in going down hill and I would not want to get in their way. They could not stop very fast, if they tried to do so. The road is narrow and winding, also. Be careful. The trucks care carrying an average of 10 tons or more if I recall the figure right. Oh-by the way the drop off on the hillside is steep
This was a sculpture that has dedicated the effort to the men and oxen who used to work this mountain until not many years ago.
- Pros:Super tour and something different
- Cons:Look out for the trucks coming downhill. They move fast
- In a nutshell:It is a fasinating trip to see at the top
There are some wonderful sculptures at the museum entrance and surrounding area. These are a couple that are impressive... more travel advice
The road is winding and in some spots rather nervy to drive. The curves to go up the mountain side are wide in some... more travel advice
BruceDunning's Related Pages
Carrara Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A great Tour"
- "Close up of Cararra Marble Quarry"
- "Visiting Carrara"
- "MARBLE MARBLE MARBLE"
- "Guests of the City Council......."
- See All...
Explore the World
- Île Ratonneau Hotels
- Shah Alam Hotels
- Salvador da Bahia
- Malawi Hotels
- Niagara-on-the-Lake Hotels
- Great Dismal Swamp National Wildlife Refuge Hotels
- New Caledonia
- Pulau Perhentian Kecil
- Antelope Island
- York Village Hotels
Badges & Stats in Carrara
- 7 Reviews
- 26 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (97)
Have you been to Carrara?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Carrara
- Commented on one of BruceDunning's Carrara travel pages
- Posted in Travel Caribbean and Central America Forum "Re: Help with my next vacation!"
- Wrote a Review Sample Sculptures at the Museum in Carrara Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Sample Sculptures at the Museum"
- updated a Carrara Travel Page "A great Tour"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas City Intro, 115 reviews, 370 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 91 reviews, 283 photos
- Munich Intro, 68 reviews, 222 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Split Intro, 58 reviews, 227 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 69 reviews, 201 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boston Intro, 62 reviews, 196 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Padova Intro, 55 reviews, 198 photos
- Paris Intro, 45 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bamberg Intro, 48 reviews, 169 photos
- New York City Intro, 50 reviews, 166 photos