"Quite Village in the foothills" Castelnuovo di Garfagnana by BruceDunning
Castelnuovo di Garfagnana Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 21 photos
You should park at the entrance to the village and walk. At the top is the castle. The town is the setting for going further up the highway into the natural park area. The park is for skiing and walking pleasures. It does get cold up here in winter, I imagine, and the mountain peaks reach to 6,000 feet and pictures show white caps.
The town got its name back in Etruscan days and it stands for rich forests and traditions. It is less traveled as a tourist spot. There are adventurers to come to the town to hike, bike, trekking, and some water excursions, like kayaking. They also feature the marble quarries up there as a tour. In the winter skiing is available in the mountains of Apuan or Appenines.
Better check first. It seems like it may be closed a lot, unless someone is there to greet tourists, or you are more in season for tourism. The town was first referenced in the 8th century, and Lucca had control for centuries. In 1429 the Estensi family got possession and held until 1814.
This was a side street near the castle that was all decked out for some occasion in butterflys; or in other lingua-papilion-french, or schmetterling-german, or farfalla- italiano. The streets were very clean and not much tourism traffic. Mostly locals doing their daily things they do. This was one decorated street to attract shoppers to come down that path.
- Pros:Typical Village in the hills
- Cons:Not much to do-you need to talk Italiano
- In a nutshell:Hope things are open when you get there
The people go by their every day ways in spite of some tourists wandering through. IN October there were not many. You... more travel advice
It is close by the town and promoted in all the literature to go there. It is a cave, like many others. Open mostly... more travel advice
BruceDunning's Related Pages
Castelnuovo di Garfagnana Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Castelnuovo di Garfagnana
- Transportation in Castelnuovo di Garfagnana
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Castelnuovo di Garfagnana
- 6 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (97)
Have you been to Castelnuovo di Garfagnana?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Castelnuovo di Garfagnana
Photos in Castelnuovo di GarfagnanaSee All Photos (19)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas City Intro, 115 reviews, 370 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 91 reviews, 283 photos
- Munich Intro, 68 reviews, 222 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Split Intro, 58 reviews, 227 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 69 reviews, 201 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boston Intro, 62 reviews, 196 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Padova Intro, 55 reviews, 198 photos
- Paris Intro, 45 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bamberg Intro, 48 reviews, 169 photos
- New York City Intro, 50 reviews, 166 photos