"Location, Location" Top 5 Page for this destination Lucca by BruceDunning

Lucca Travel Guide: 566 reviews and 1,473 photos

The top view of tile roofs

Lucca is a population of 80,000, and is centrally located with Pisa 40 miles, Florence 50 miles and many smaller towns in the 40 mile area. It is close to hills and sea. The walled city is a site hopefully tourists do not overtake much more

The bells work

Two torres are the moniker for the city. Both were established by religious order ties into the Medici family. The main one is Torre Guinigi built in 1600's and is 130 feet.

Map of layout

There are a number of things to see inside the wall. Plan an itinerary and take one at a time. The tower and and palace of Guinigi are two of the best, along with the amphitheatre

• Pros:Beautiful wall with many things to do inside
  • Cons:Traffic in area is rough
  • In a nutshell:Get used to it and find your way around.
  • Last visit to Lucca: Oct 2005
  • Intro Updated Aug 22, 2008

• nicolaitan's Profile Photo
    Mar 9, 2013 at 5:50 PM

and this is the place in italy i would visit if we ever went back. we tried to get to lucca a few trips back but the traffic was so bad, as you point out, that we turned around and headed back for the highway. great page, spectacular villas - your images are terrific.

• MM212's Profile Photo
    Jan 12, 2012 at 7:23 PM

In 2009, I skipped Lucca in favour of Pisa because I only had a couple of hours to spare (it was merely a stop on a long drive from Cannes to Rome). Your page confirms that I made the right choice, for Lucca deserves far more time.

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo
    Nov 29, 2010 at 4:26 AM

I suspect you love churches as much as I do. Another great page Bruce. I hope to get to Lucca eventually.

• ranger49's Profile Photo
    Jan 16, 2010 at 3:57 AM

Hi Glenn - Lucca is high on my list of places to visit - Thanks for useful, interesting Tips. I must find out about the Puccini Festival dates and try to time our visit to take it in.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Aug 12, 2009 at 11:04 AM

If I ever go to Lucca it will be for the Puccini museum and festival, but I see from your tips that there are some other things to see there as well. The villas sound interesting, and the surrounding countryside looks pleasant.

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Jul 13, 2009 at 2:27 PM

Wonderful tips about Maria Vittori. Looks like a great place to stay and all those Villas look most delightful. That is pretty wild about the wall, cannot imagine a bike riding on it.

• Ekaterinburg's Profile Photo
    Jun 23, 2009 at 2:55 PM

Bruce, I loved my trip round Lucca courtesy of your photos and tips. Excellent hotel tip - I've bookmarked it - and I loved the stories about the outlying villages, especially the man and the bike:)

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Mar 2, 2009 at 9:50 AM

Bruce, fabulous page with brilliant photos of this gem of the Tuscany. Your page brings back memories of my time in Lucca. Well done.

• Maurizioago's Profile Photo
    Jan 28, 2008 at 9:44 AM

Good page. I have to go to Lucca one day. Ciao!

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Jan 23, 2008 at 11:10 AM

Hi, Bruce! You've had a great trip as far as I can se! Thanks for sharing!

BruceDunning

“Our ultimate and final trip is to "City" in the clouds”

Badges & Stats in Lucca