"Focal Point of the Past" Top 5 Page for this destination Padova by BruceDunning
Padova Travel Guide: 721 reviews and 1,971 photos
It is said to be originally founded in 1183 BC by a Trojan prince. Rome made it a municipality in about 40BC, and it has always been held as a place that focuses on the northern territory and was vital to defending the area. It has been occupied by the Goths, Greeks, Lombards, and nearly devastated by the Magyars in 899. Then a fire of 1174 again nearly destroyed the city. It was a part of Venice empire in 1405 and remained so until that downfall in 1797. Afterword, the Austrians took control, and finally it became part of itlay republic in 1866.
Throughout this upheaval, The Padova residents maintained a pride of its role in the Italian struggles.
For centuries this was the main point of city administration, and city council is still next door. It ws built in 1172 and finished in 27 years. It has a reverse boat like roof without any supporting pillars. The size is huge; about 240 feet by 100 feet wide.
These are the variety of crests representing the cities and villages in the Padova province. These frazioni are mostly suburbs of the Padova main city, having a little over 200,000 people.
- Pros:Stroll the Prato and slow down the pace
- Cons:Not a lot of depth to see the sites-not may
- In a nutshell:It is a city easy to manuever around, but history sites lack
The brick facade is rather mundane, in my opinion. It was built in the 13th century. The roof is very high and shaped... more travel advice
It was founded in 1222 and is to be the second oldest and one of the largest with 63,000 universities in Europe. It was... more travel advice
BruceDunning's Related Pages
Padova Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Padova...our new home...for now"
- "PADOVA - PADUA"
- "Focal Point of the Past"
- "Padova, Padua, Padoa, Patavium"
- "Prato della Valle"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Padova
- Hotels in Padova
- Transportation in Padova
- Nightlife in Padova
- Restaurants in Padova
- Shopping in Padova
- Warnings and Dangers in Padova
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Padova
- 55 Reviews
- 198 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 14 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (127)
Have you been to Padova?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Padova
- Commented on one of BruceDunning's Padova travel pages
- Posted in Travel Caribbean and Central America Forum "Re: Help with my next vacation!"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Treviso Piazza Duomo"
- updated a Padova Travel Page "Focal Point of the Past"
- Wrote a Review Treviso-Chiesa di San Francesco in Padova Off The Beaten Path
Photos in PadovaSee All Photos (198)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas City Intro, 115 reviews, 370 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 91 reviews, 283 photos
- Munich Intro, 68 reviews, 222 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Split Intro, 58 reviews, 227 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 69 reviews, 201 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boston Intro, 62 reviews, 196 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Padova Intro, 55 reviews, 198 photos
- Paris Intro, 45 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bamberg Intro, 48 reviews, 169 photos
- New York City Intro, 50 reviews, 166 photos