"Look up old town" Pistoia by BruceDunning
Pistoia Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 64 photos
The founding of the city dates back to Etruscan era, but the Romans made it an important outpost in 500BCE along the Cassia Road for protection. The name came from Roman word pistol-pistoria-and changed to today's name.
Piazza dell Duomo is the main focus of the old part of the city, while it expanded in 12-13th centuries. SAn Zeno church is built over in 1108, from the first that was founded in 5th century was destroyed in fire.
This is next to the Duomo and one of the an attractive tower of Italy-my opinion.
The facade is Romanesque and has green and white striped marble and above the arches are saints perched along the top.
- Pros:Good architecture to view
- Cons:May be hard to find a parking spot; had a time finding old town
- In a nutshell:Nice stroll through the old town area and the buildings
This is in Piazza dell Sala on the north end of Piazza del Duomo. Is is form the 13-14th century and the name comes form... more travel advice
The Pallazzo Comune was built in 1290's to house a larger magistrate staff. It had continued add-ons for the next... more travel advice
BruceDunning's Related Pages
Pistoia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Look up old town"
- "Don't Pass Up Pistoia!"
- "Pistoia - UNDER CONSTRUCTION"
- "Pistoia, a very nice surprise"
- "Pistoia, Italy"
- "PISTOIA : A CITY TO DISCOVER !!!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Pistoia
- Hotels in Pistoia
- Transportation in Pistoia
- Restaurants in Pistoia
- Warnings and Dangers in Pistoia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Pistoia
- 5 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (129)
Have you been to Pistoia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pistoia
Photos in PistoiaSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas City Intro, 115 reviews, 370 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 91 reviews, 283 photos
- Munich Intro, 68 reviews, 218 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Split Intro, 58 reviews, 227 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 69 reviews, 201 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boston Intro, 62 reviews, 196 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Padova Intro, 55 reviews, 198 photos
- Paris Intro, 45 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bamberg Intro, 48 reviews, 169 photos
- New York City Intro, 50 reviews, 166 photos