"Venetian Noble Magnificence." Top 5 Page for this destination Stra by BruceDunning
Stra Travel Guide: 64 reviews and 171 photos
One of the methods to see the sites along the river is to take a boat cruise. This is a nice day trip from either Venzia or Padova. The canal length is about 18 miles end to end, and on the Venice end the tours start/stop in Fusina, about 5 miles from Venice.
Boats hold around 30-50 people and are medium sized so they can maneuver through a couple of locks. There are 3 locks and 9 bridges, with the height deviating 24 feet from the Adriatic Ocean. Be careful to read that some of the cruises are only one way and ends at Padua or Venice.
Bend in river at Barchesse Valmarana on the left and Villa Widmann across the road. The Venetian Council in 1345 declared that local citizens could not own surrounding land of this area. This then led to construction of magnificent villas. Some villas were built to farm the land, others to bring as guests famous people and artists, and others just to impress the gentry.
The Venetians spent their time during the summer and holidays on the canal. They were transported by barge to Fusina, and then the boat would be pulled by horses up the river. They would spend a lot of the summer in these villas, away from Venizia humidity.
This is the most famed and largest villa along the Stra. It was built in 1735 by a Doge in order to show the class of people in his wealthy circle that this would be the best of all along the Stra. It changed ownership many time, and even was a possession of Napoleon for a while.
Researching the history and reason for many of these villas before visiting the area assists in knowing which ones can be visited, and which are better than others. There are over 12 villas that can be toured along the Riveria Brenta.
Architects such as Palladio, Scamozzi, Preti and other well known names of the era designed these villas. Most were built between 1600-1750.
TAke advantage of the tours on Sundays. That is when most are open and a discount of 2 Euro is offered for 3 villas on the tour circuit called Dimore & Dintorni
- Pros:Many great villas and scenery along the road
- Cons:May find some villas closed-but are supposed to be open
- In a nutshell:This is a wonderful drive along the Brenta, casual
Some of the boat excursions are only one way, and only on certain days go from either Padova, or Venizia. They take a... more travel advice
SR 11 is the main road along the Brenta river. I noted that many tourists stood out in the road to get a better long... more travel advice
BruceDunning's Related Pages
Stra Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Stra / Veneto & the famous BRENTA - villas"
- "Cruising the Brenta to Stra"
- "Venetian Noble Magnificence."
- "Villa Pisani - Strà"
- "VILLAS VILLAS VILLAS!"
- "Stra, just west of Venice."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Stra
- Hotels in Stra
- Transportation in Stra
- Restaurants in Stra
- Warnings and Dangers in Stra
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Stra
- 14 Reviews
- 58 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (128)
Have you been to Stra?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Stra
Photos in StraSee All Photos (58)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas City Intro, 115 reviews, 370 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 91 reviews, 283 photos
- Munich Intro, 68 reviews, 218 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Split Intro, 58 reviews, 227 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 69 reviews, 201 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boston Intro, 62 reviews, 196 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Padova Intro, 55 reviews, 198 photos
- Paris Intro, 45 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bamberg Intro, 48 reviews, 169 photos
- New York City Intro, 50 reviews, 166 photos