"Medieval Walled town with Class" Top 5 Page for this destination Dinkelsbühl by BruceDunning
Dinkelsbühl Travel Guide: 75 reviews and 180 photos
They have many ornate and beautiful buildings along the streets. The town was unscathed during WWII; leaving the great buildings intact. The Swedes attacked and conquered the town during the Thirty Years War. By 1534, the majority of residents were Protestants, but the town became a "mixed" administration under the Treaty of Westphalia. That allowed it to be a Free Mixed Imperial City for trade and status of commerce. That finally ended in 1802, and Bavaria took control of the region in consolidation.
Dinkelsbuhl is real active town for the locals and not many tourists come here versus other towns along the Romantic Road. There are the cobblestone streets and German restaurants spread within the retail shops. There is not a lot of museums for an all day trip. It may take 2-4 hours to take in the main sites and get a bite to eat.
Every strasse branching out form the core by Munster St. Georg has very unique buildings and some of the most decorated I noted in our travels.
- Pros:Plenty of walls and towers to see
- Cons:Something is missing? Know not what but a short trip
- In a nutshell:A concised version of Rothenburg ob der TAuber
Located outside of any towns, this is a great site to behold, and well maintained to this day. Perched on top of a hill,... more travel advice
This was not open for viewing, and maybe has not been for quite some time based on the look of being desolate. The tower... more travel advice
BruceDunning's Related Pages
Dinkelsbühl Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Dinkelsbuehl - a smaller and quieter Rothenburg"
- "On and Off the Road In Dinkelsbuhl"
- "Medieval Walled town with Class"
- "A Feast for Your Eyes"
- "Welcome to medieval times..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Dinkelsbühl
- Hotels in Dinkelsbühl
- Transportation in Dinkelsbühl
- Restaurants in Dinkelsbühl
- Shopping in Dinkelsbühl
- Warnings and Dangers in Dinkelsbühl
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Dinkelsbühl
- 19 Reviews
- 45 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (129)
Have you been to Dinkelsbühl?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dinkelsbühl
- updated a Dinkelsbühl Travel Page "Medieval Walled town with Class"
- Commented on one of BruceDunning's Dinkelsbühl tips
- Uploaded a Photo to "Rothenburgertor"
- Wrote a Review Karmelite Monastery in Dinkelsbühl Off The Beaten Path
- Posted in Travel Caribbean and Central America Forum "Re: Help with my next vacation!"
Photos in DinkelsbühlSee All Photos (45)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas City Intro, 115 reviews, 370 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 91 reviews, 283 photos
- Munich Intro, 68 reviews, 218 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Split Intro, 58 reviews, 227 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 69 reviews, 201 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boston Intro, 62 reviews, 196 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Padova Intro, 55 reviews, 198 photos
- Paris Intro, 45 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bamberg Intro, 48 reviews, 169 photos
- New York City Intro, 50 reviews, 166 photos