"Treviso-Art and Water FAme" Top 5 Page for this destination Treviso by BruceDunning
Treviso Travel Guide: 209 reviews and 742 photos
Treviso is called the city of art and water. There definitely is plenty of water, and it runs through the city fast and looks clean and green from the mountains. The art you need to search a bit more for, and the museums are sparse because 4 of the 5 are under "renovation", for how long, who knows. The Austrians then took over, and during WWI and WWI it was very much destroyed. Rebuilt to original condition is amazing.
The city was formed in 89BC and Romans controlled for centuries. The Byzatine til 568, then Lombards and Franks had control for some times. In 1397 it became part of Venice republic
Parking inside of the walled area could be a challenge. A lot of traffic is going by fast and to find these may be difficult. We found a place/posta just south of the wall heading out of the city, between Bandira and Margherita/Libera for 1.30 Euro an ora
The river runs under a number of buildings and was used to transport goods in the old days. It is also a connection to the moat that surrounds the city. The town is a vibrant working culture and is home of Benetton fashionwear.
This is the main square. It was first used by the Romans as an administration location to manage the city. The palace built was for the administrator, and later the tower was added. This city has been a center of trade and takeovers since 80BC. Last major control was Austrian; prior to that was French, and under Venice rule in early 1300's; even Attila the Hun had his hand in here-plus of course the Romans.
- Pros:Neat city with water running through it
- Cons:Museums mostly closed-dissappointing
- In a nutshell:It can be a one day whirlwind of sites if not staying there
There is a castle fortress on an island that is surrounded by walls from the centuries previous. The walled town dates... more travel advice
There are reserved places in the middle sector where out of towners cannot park. Then by the University, sections are... more travel advice
BruceDunning's Related Pages
Treviso Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- ""Treviso che di chiare fontane tutta ride""
- "Treviso, citta del'arte"
- "Treviso - 'A City of Water and Art'"
- "Treviso-Art and Water FAme"
- "A VT meeting in Treviso."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Treviso
- Hotels in Treviso
- Transportation in Treviso
- Nightlife in Treviso
- Restaurants in Treviso
- Shopping in Treviso
- Warnings and Dangers in Treviso
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Treviso
- 12 Reviews
- 38 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (101)
Have you been to Treviso?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Treviso
- Posted in Travel Caribbean and Central America Forum "Re: Help with my next vacation!"
- Commented on one of STEFZAMM's Treviso travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Via Camaggiore"
- Wrote a Review The Fortress Walls and Castle in Treviso Things to Do
- updated a Treviso Travel Page "Treviso-Art and Water FAme"
Photos in TrevisoSee All Photos (38)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas City Intro, 115 reviews, 370 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 91 reviews, 283 photos
- Munich Intro, 68 reviews, 222 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Split Intro, 58 reviews, 227 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 69 reviews, 201 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boston Intro, 62 reviews, 196 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Padova Intro, 55 reviews, 198 photos
- Paris Intro, 45 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bamberg Intro, 48 reviews, 169 photos
- New York City Intro, 50 reviews, 166 photos