""Fairytale" Palace" Schloß Herrenchiemsee by BruceDunning
Schloß Herrenchiemsee Travel Guide: 107 reviews and 256 photos
This view of the palace from the rear sector-now the front for people visiting, shows a similar look to the Versailles in France; outside Paris a bit. The idea was that of King Ludwig II-named Mad King Ludwig later, and allegedly he was mad in the head. In reality, only some of the rooms look like those of Versailles, but the grounds are replicated
The Herreninsel Island is 200 hectares, or 100 acres. A path around the island is 4.2 miles, if you want to take it. The walk to the palace in the middle of the island is about 3/4 mile distance. Besides the New Palace, there is the "Old Palace" which actually was a monastery for Augustinian Monks. King Ludwig took control of it to preserve the buildings from destruction by the owners, then decided to build a bigger palace from the beginning.
That new building, after many architect changes by Ludwig, ended up to emulate the Versailles in some respects.
Lake Chiemsee has been a popular place for the rulers and religious persons since early 700's. In 765, a schloss was constructed, which is now called the Augustinian Monastery. Island Herreninsel, and Fraueninsel are the main features on the lake.
- Pros:Unique building and history of the story
- Cons:Nolt enough time inside the palace
- In a nutshell:All is Great-Plan the day to see all on the islands
The only way to get to Herrenensel and Fraueninsel are by boat. Watch the times and which drop off you want.... more travel advice
It is okay and prepped for the tourists coming through. The food is eclectic and pricey of sorts. The easy food to fill... more travel advice
BruceDunning's Related Pages
Schloß Herrenchiemsee Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Little Versailles ...."
- "HERRENCHIEMSEE ROYAL CASTLE"
- "Schloss Herrenchiemsee - Germany"
- "Ludwig II. built his Bavarian Versailles..."
- "Unfinished Versailles for Mad King Ludwig II"
- ""Fairytale" Palace"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Schloß Herrenchiemsee
- Hotels in Schloß Herrenchiemsee
- Transportation in Schloß Herrenchiemsee
- Restaurants in Schloß Herrenchiemsee
- See All...
Explore the World
- Cocoa Beach Hotels
- Malolo Lailai Island
- Lucerne Hotels
- Westmount Hotels
- Grosse Pointe Farms Hotels
- Batu Feringgi
- American Samoa Hotels
- Saint Simons Island
- Le Cap d'Agde
- St. John's
- Estado de Jalisco
- Chacchoben Hotels
Badges & Stats in Schloß Herrenchiemsee
- 14 Reviews
- 39 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (93)
Have you been to Schloß Herrenchiemsee?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Schloß Herrenchiemsee
- Wrote a Review Boats to the islands in Schloß Herrenchiemsee Transportation
- Uploaded a Photo to "German on the Run"
- created a Schloß Herrenchiemsee Travel Page ""Fairytale" Palace"
- Posted in Travel Caribbean and Central America Forum "Re: Help with my next vacation!"
- Commented on one of MEdelmann's Schloß Herrenchiemsee travel pages
Photos in Schloß HerrenchiemseeSee All Photos (39)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas City Intro, 115 reviews, 370 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 91 reviews, 283 photos
- Munich Intro, 68 reviews, 222 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Split Intro, 58 reviews, 227 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 69 reviews, 201 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boston Intro, 62 reviews, 196 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Padova Intro, 55 reviews, 198 photos
- Paris Intro, 45 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bamberg Intro, 48 reviews, 169 photos
- New York City Intro, 50 reviews, 166 photos