"City of Famous landmarks" Top 5 Page for this destination Bamberg by BruceDunning
Bamberg Travel Guide: 456 reviews and 1,471 photos
Michael's Abbey was founded in 1017 by Roman Emporer Henry II, who also claimed the city in earlier years to counterbalance the power rule of the Diocese of Wurzburg. The monastery also has/had a large brewery from old days and was one of the city's finest. There are eight breweries in the city, and smoked (rauch) beer is a major development for the.
The city was first mentioned in 902, and by 1007, Henry II of Rome claimed the town for his heirs to use as future assets. It laid claim as the city of seven hills in order to replicate the same symbol as in Rome which is surrounded by seven hills. The university was started in 1647, and thereafter other manufacturing and rail connection brought prosperity to the city for many centuries. During WWII, it was not destroyed in bombing because the anti aircraft factory making the weapons was located here, and a big deterent to fly over and get the flack.
The city has many churches from Medieval era, and over 2000 buildings listed on the register for their ornate and preserved state.
The Regnitz river is only 36 miles long and is a tributary from converging of two other rivers. It became a canal route for trade for the city.
- Pros:Wondeful preserved sites around the old center- & beer
- Cons:Distances between some places is more than a walk
- In a nutshell:Crowds are thicker than flies on a cow
These other buildings are not named necessarily, but do have a view worth taking a second look at. and take some time to... more travel advice
This is a very beautiful spa town about 15 miles outside of BAmberg. It is located on A713 and about 6 miles north of... more travel advice
BruceDunning's Related Pages
Bamberg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "City of Famous landmarks"
- "Wonderful Bamberg"
- "Medieval Bamberg"
- "Beloved Bamberg !"
- "Bamberg - every cloud has a silver lining"
- "The best of Bamberg...."
- "Bamberg - an UNESCO world heritage site"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bamberg
- Hotels in Bamberg
- Transportation in Bamberg
- Nightlife in Bamberg
- Restaurants in Bamberg
- Shopping in Bamberg
- Warnings and Dangers in Bamberg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bamberg
- 48 Reviews
- 169 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (127)
Have you been to Bamberg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bamberg
- Posted in Travel Caribbean and Central America Forum "Re: Help with my next vacation!"
- Wrote a Review Other view arounf the city in Bamberg Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Other view arounf the city"
- created a Bamberg Travel Page "City of Famous landmarks"
- Commented on one of Kuznetsov_Sergey's Bamberg travel pages
Photos in BambergSee All Photos (169)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas City Intro, 115 reviews, 370 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 91 reviews, 283 photos
- Munich Intro, 68 reviews, 222 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Split Intro, 58 reviews, 227 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 69 reviews, 201 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boston Intro, 62 reviews, 196 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Padova Intro, 55 reviews, 198 photos
- Paris Intro, 45 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bamberg Intro, 48 reviews, 169 photos
- New York City Intro, 50 reviews, 166 photos