Bayreuth Off The Beaten Path Tips by BruceDunning
Bayreuth Off The Beaten Path: 4 reviews and 20 photos
Pictoral view of the castle complex
Sitting on the crest of the town hill is this large castle. It covers the whole hill and has many courtyards and towers. It is on 57 acres-23 hectares it is claimed to be the largest castle in Germany. Over the centuries, additions were made to the castle walls and interior, with the star wall defense placed in around 15-16th century.
There are three museums in the castle; Frankish art gallery with 25 rooms and many featuring Louis Cranach, Information and history museum, and Steinmetz museum. While we were there, a special exhibit of contemporary art was also featured along with religious pieces, which was very extensive.
Entry into the museums ranges from 7 Euro for guided tour in language of your choice at certain times, to see the main castle rooms as a walk through. I feel this is not worth the tour since most is talking outside the rooms in the courtyard and only lasts 45 minutes maximum. The other museums range form 2,50-4,00 Euro.
Picture of town and csastle
This town has only 17,000 people, but has a lot of old time German charm. It is the home of Louis Cranach, a famous painter of the era who spent early years here. The upper part of the town has a late Medieval style and is walled in within the old castle walls. The Gothic church, St Johannes is beautiful to see. The city hall is form 1583 and is now a festival hall.
Front gate to the castle
This castle sits on top of the hill overlooking the village below. It was first known about in 1135. The Hohenzollern family had control until 1604, and during that time it was destroyed in 1554 from a war between Margraves. It was rebuilt, and sold by heirs in 1792 to King of Prussia. Later in 1810 it became a prison, and eventually a museum for us to see the sites.
There are 3 museums, with each having its own charge. The toy soldier pewter collection of over 300,000 pieces cost 3 Euro. The peoples museum of culture is 4 Euro. The history/weapons museum is 4 Euro.
It is open 9-6 Tuesday-Sunday April-Oct and 10-4 the rest of the months, and entry fee is depending on the museums you choose to see.
It is located 15 miles north of Bayreuth in Kuhlmbach and the Hwy 85 is the route
View of the Market Platz
A town about 15 miles north of Bayreuth, it has a castle and churches-what else? Its main attraction is the Plassenburg Castle on the hill. The town is nice to just sit and look at every day activity of the people that still frequent the square to shop, eat and watch tourists. The town has a population of 26,00 people, and three main churches; Blessed Mary, St. Peters church, and Martin Luther church.
More Reviews (19)
BruceDunning's Related Pages
Bayreuth Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Wonderful Quaint German Town"
- "The capital of moslem sleepers - by Jorg"
- "Bayreuth: a secret well kept"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bayreuth
- Hotels in Bayreuth
- Transportation in Bayreuth
- Nightlife in Bayreuth
- Restaurants in Bayreuth
- Warnings and Dangers in Bayreuth
- See All...
Explore the World
- Encs Hotels
- Geyikli Hotels
- Glenwillow Hotels
- San Pawl il-Bahar Hotels
- Fairmont Hot Springs
- Wadi Rum Off The Beaten Path
- Tripoli Off The Beaten Path
- Kalgoorlie Off The Beaten Path
- Ankara Off The Beaten Path
- Burgas Off The Beaten Path
- Praia da Rocha Off The Beaten Path
- Twizel Off The Beaten Path
- San Simeon Off The Beaten Path
- Ronda (daytrip)
- Jávea Off The Beaten Path
- Quinta da Regaleira
- Slidell Off The Beaten Path
Badges & Stats in Bayreuth
- 23 Reviews
- 89 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (97)
Have you been to Bayreuth?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bayreuth
- Posted in Travel Caribbean and Central America Forum "Re: Help with my next vacation!"
- Wrote a Review BAyreuth Card in Bayreuth Favorites
- Uploaded a Photo to "Kronach-Rosenberg Castle"
- updated a Bayreuth Travel Page "Wonderful Quaint German Town"
- Commented on one of MichaelFalk1969's Bayreuth travel pages
Photos in BayreuthSee All Photos (89)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas City Intro, 115 reviews, 370 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 91 reviews, 283 photos
- Munich Intro, 68 reviews, 222 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Split Intro, 58 reviews, 227 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 69 reviews, 201 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boston Intro, 62 reviews, 196 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Padova Intro, 55 reviews, 198 photos
- Paris Intro, 45 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bamberg Intro, 48 reviews, 169 photos
- New York City Intro, 50 reviews, 166 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (50)
Latest Bayreuth hotel reviews
- Grunau Hotel
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 15, 2012