"Wonderful Quaint German Town" Bayreuth by BruceDunning
Bayreuth Travel Guide: 52 reviews and 157 photos
Be European standards, this is a relatively new town because it was founded about 1194 by Counts of Andechs in the Upper Farnconian region of BAvaria. The population is over 72,000 and has a lot of preserved treasures to see in the old sector town. The town has the Red Main river running through the middle, and a lot is underground or channeled. Over one-half of the town homes burned in 1602, then the plague came in 1620 and another fire of 1621, and then the Thirty Years War. Finally in early 1700's it became a more known place with the rulers taking on the expansion/building of a the town
The Hollenzollern Palace was located on the site of the old palace on the site today. It was built in 1440-57, and portions added over the years until it got this newer look for the facade, and a chapel around later 1600's, but the tower still looks old/maybe original? Today these buildings are administrative offices for the government. A new residence was built to be more ornate and decorative than the old palace, plus a hofgarten was added for strolling by the gentry
The first castle building at the Hermitage was built in 1715-19 by Margrave George William. Over the subsequent years structures were added as well as fountains and gardens. It turns out to be one of the most unique places to visit, with its huge gardens and buildings and fountains, along with rock formations and mosaic of stone on one of the buildings; truly works of art.
The new palace was constructed beginning in 1753 at the influence Margravine Wilhelmine, and she wanted splendor which was the result inside and out.
The town also Margravial Opera house was built in 1748, and nothing has changed since then. It is said to be the oldest Baroque style opera house in Europe.
The other influence in the town was the history musical people, with Richard Wagner being the more reknowned, and an annual festival is held here in in a Festival Hall. Other artists include Frank Liszt, and Jean Paul
- Pros:A lovely typical German town with great architecture
- Cons:Parking is hard to find, and narrow streets
- In a nutshell:It is well worth visiting and taking in the culture
Sitting on the crest of the town hill is this large castle. It covers the whole hill and has many courtyards and towers.... more travel advice
This castle sits on top of the hill overlooking the village below. It was first known about in 1135. The Hohenzollern... more travel advice
BruceDunning's Related Pages
Bayreuth Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Wonderful Quaint German Town"
- "The capital of moslem sleepers - by Jorg"
- "Bayreuth: a secret well kept"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bayreuth
- Hotels in Bayreuth
- Transportation in Bayreuth
- Nightlife in Bayreuth
- Restaurants in Bayreuth
- Warnings and Dangers in Bayreuth
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bayreuth
- 23 Reviews
- 89 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (97)
Have you been to Bayreuth?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bayreuth
- Posted in Travel Caribbean and Central America Forum "Re: Help with my next vacation!"
- Wrote a Review BAyreuth Card in Bayreuth Favorites
- Uploaded a Photo to "Kronach-Rosenberg Castle"
- updated a Bayreuth Travel Page "Wonderful Quaint German Town"
- Commented on one of MichaelFalk1969's Bayreuth travel pages
Photos in BayreuthSee All Photos (89)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas City Intro, 115 reviews, 370 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 91 reviews, 283 photos
- Munich Intro, 68 reviews, 222 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Split Intro, 58 reviews, 227 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 69 reviews, 201 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boston Intro, 62 reviews, 196 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Padova Intro, 55 reviews, 198 photos
- Paris Intro, 45 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bamberg Intro, 48 reviews, 169 photos
- New York City Intro, 50 reviews, 166 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (50)
Latest Bayreuth hotel reviews
- Grunau Hotel
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 15, 2012