"Search Out the Good Monuments" Berlin by BruceDunning

Berlin Travel Guide: 6,962 reviews and 15,611 photos

Stay Away from Tourist sites-or only briefly see

This is a piece of the remaining wall that still has the commentary intact. Berlin is now trying to assimilate the two sides and some of it is working; others not so much. Alexander Palz on the east side is nice, and an effort is made to merge the cultures.
It has 3.4 million people and been existence since 1200's. Prussia was the famed era.

Victory Column-Sigessaeule

This is a monumental monument. It stands the time of civilization. Build in 1865-73. 210 feet tall, or 275 steps to the top?

Access of 5 main streets

Boulevard looking down to Brandenburg gate

• Pros:A lot of very nice monuments
  • Cons:Traffic and working city hub bub
  • In a nutshell:Stay in inner part of the city to seee the historical sites.
  • Last visit to Berlin: Oct 2007
  • Intro Updated Nov 11, 2007

• DAO's Profile Photo
    Jun 17, 2013 at 8:11 AM

Cool stuff. Last time I was here, the East Germans were still running Checkpoint Charlie. They had a policeman on every street corner. Every one. Lets just say airport security in East Berlin was scary. All the best!

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
      Jun 18, 2013 at 10:45 AM

Thanks for looking at Berlin pages. It was big and held many nice sites, but yet the difference of east vs west can still be noted-in my opinion

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Aug 13, 2012 at 4:06 AM

Interesting Berlin page!

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Jul 14, 2011 at 10:19 AM

Bruce, fabulous page with great tips and photos of Berlin. I have visited Berlin probably about 15 times or even more.

• hopang's Profile Photo
    Jun 13, 2011 at 12:02 AM

Great Berlin travel pages with lovely photos! We will be visiting Berlin next month. We will visit most of the attractions that you have described. Thanks for visiting our Spain travel pages. ~ho & pang

• Raimix's Profile Photo
    Feb 16, 2011 at 9:50 AM

Nice page about the place I would like to visit ;)

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Feb 10, 2011 at 12:08 AM

Great page about the great city bringing back great memory! Though the Cold War lasted 50 years, but not 500 (haha, have a look on your “Berlin Wall” TTD tip - 1445!). Half a year ago I managed to visit some of Berlin museums at last.

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo
    Oct 4, 2010 at 4:47 PM

I like how you have shown the good with the bad here. It's so important to know both sides of a travel destination. Thanks.

• christine.j's Profile Photo
    Mar 9, 2010 at 4:34 AM

I love the parks of Berlin. Surprisingly for such a big city it's really quite "green".

• Mikebb's Profile Photo
    Nov 5, 2009 at 8:37 PM

Enjoyed your page Bruce. Hopefully we will visit during 2010, everyone tells me we will not be disappointed.

• alancollins's Profile Photo
    Aug 7, 2009 at 1:03 PM

One of my favourite cities. I have a couple more trips already booked and I'm always looking for new places to visit in Berlin.

BruceDunning

“Our ultimate and final trip is to "City" in the clouds”

Badges & Stats in Berlin