"Still Beautiful Elegance" Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden by BruceDunning
Dresden Travel Guide: 1,428 reviews and 4,362 photos
This wonderful monument in the center of the old city area has so much to see and do inside and around the complex. Beside six different museums inside, the ornate facade and sculptures enhance the beauty.
The name Dresden means people of the riverside forest. There were inhabitants here by 7500BC, and in the 12th century the Slavic people called the town Dresden. King August the Strong brought a great deal of culture to the region by bringing musicians, architects, and painters here. He was instrumental in getting his chemists to find the solution to making of porcelain, in order to replicate this valuable commodity coming from China. Over the years, it was the Saxons that held off the Turks who continually tried to take over the territory over 300 years, peaking in late 1600's. The Seven Year's War devastated the city, but it revived and became a capital for 100 years until 1918.
This unbelievable mural is made of Meissen porcelain tiles in mosaic pattern; 25,000 in total. The mural is 335 feet long and 31 feet tall. The mural shows in real facial depiction the procession of Saxony rulers and elite Dukes, Kings and Margraves from 1127 through 1904 period, along with key people and everyday normal peasants of the time that made up the region.
The mural was first a painting done in 1876, but later the tiles replaced it in 1904-1907 time frame. The mural only had minor damage in WWII.
There are so many great structures in the center, but this one stands out as the anchor for it all. Not enough can be said for the fantastic beauty of the buildings and adornments. The more surreal thing about it is that this palace was completely rebuilt after WWII because it was nearly leveled to the ground.
It was originally built as a stronghold for the city and eventually converted to a center for royal art collections and festival events.
- Pros:So many fantastic sites in the city and surrounding
- Cons:Too many tourists and traffic
- In a nutshell:A fabulous place with elegant architecture
It was at best okay. We had pizzas and they were served on flat bread and not very much taste, as well as not much to... more travel advice
Besides the places shown on these pages listed, there are about 50 other castles/palaces within a 25 mile radius of... more travel advice
BruceDunning's Related Pages
Dresden Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Welcome to Dresden"
- "WONDERFUL DRESDEN!"
- "Still Beautiful Elegance"
- "Back to the Future: From Rubble to Baroque Beauty"
- "Six visits in Dresden"
- "Opera and Cycling in Dresden"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Dresden
- Hotels in Dresden
- Transportation in Dresden
- Nightlife in Dresden
- Restaurants in Dresden
- Shopping in Dresden
- Warnings and Dangers in Dresden
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Dresden
- 91 Reviews
- 283 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 16 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (130)
Have you been to Dresden?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dresden
Photos in DresdenSee All Photos (283)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas City Intro, 115 reviews, 370 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 91 reviews, 283 photos
- Munich Intro, 68 reviews, 218 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Split Intro, 58 reviews, 227 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 69 reviews, 201 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boston Intro, 62 reviews, 196 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Padova Intro, 55 reviews, 198 photos
- Paris Intro, 45 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bamberg Intro, 48 reviews, 169 photos
- New York City Intro, 50 reviews, 166 photos