"Travel is a Cultural Learning Experience" BruceDunning's Profile
I am taking pictures of the sites around Huntsville and so far there are a great deal of interesting places for things to do/see. The city got a spurt of growth due to the Redstone Arsenal being located here after WWII, and today it employs 30,000 people, most of which are well educated engineers and scientists. They test for munitions and bombs of all types, and secret weapons unknown to most, and not used yet until needed.
National parks and remote areas in Utah & Arizona. The well known park is Grand Canyon, but many other greatparks-Petrified Forest, Bryce Canyon, -Grand Staircase, Natural Bridges area, Capitol Reef,and Arches Park.
The thing I like most about VT--IS--it is a guide to layout a template for travels. I plan my own trips and rely on some of the VT members for tips. I enjoy planning trips and that takes about 1/3 of the time frame, then the trip is another 1/3, and uploading pictures and comments the last 1/3. VT is a great hobby, as well as learning about our culture/surroundings. My intent is to provide pictures that show the places, and make factual comments so people can decide what is important to see/do. I hope people appreciate my efforts, and reflect that with rating the pages as a token of their thanks for what may have helped them in what they want to know.
Huntsville is located in what the South calls a cove/valley. it is surrounded by hills/mountains that elevate up to 1200 feet. Clouds break at the hill peaks and rain falls; sometime daily during spring. The terrain has many rock formations, mostly of limestone, and some rugged to climb. The climate is close to ideal with a slightly cool winter and summers not extremely hot.
Close by the city are many hiking trails that can be moderate to difficult in trekking. Scenery in going through the woods is great with it having many streams and rock formations.
At an older age, this is quite a thing to accomplish and it is 1 mile up with 600 feet elevation. Huntsville has many utility easements that are cut through the mountains to reach the other population over there.
Getting up some of the rock ledges can be a great risk, but if you make it; a great reward.
The city of Huntsville, even though having an area population of around 200,000, is spread out and does not feel crowded. All around are the mountains and rolling hills in between rivers that traverse through he valleys.
They have a great and large space and rocket center that depicts the times since 1945's and later era when the race for space took lace, plus the defensive missiles that were built.
The Region has many waterfalls that are medium fall drops to large; like 100 feet. To see some of them, it takes searching and seeking and much driving/hiking, but well worth the trip
Top Travel Pages
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 3,595 Reviews
- 12,219 Photos
- 26 Countries
- 251 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (127)
- Commented on one of Klod5's Barnaul tips
- BruceDunning and arturowan are now friends.
updated their Profile Page "Travel is a Cultural Learning Experience"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Ave Maria Grotto"
- Wrote a Review Ave Maria Grotto in Huntsville Off The Beaten Path
- created a Mobile Travel Page "Mobile has Culture of many Countries"
- Uploaded a Video to Albuquerque
- Posted in Travel Caribbean and Central America Forum "Re: Help with my next vacation!"
PhotosSee All Photos (12219)
VideosSee All Videos (28)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas City Intro, 115 reviews, 370 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dresden Intro, 91 reviews, 283 photos
- Munich Intro, 68 reviews, 222 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Split Intro, 58 reviews, 227 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 69 reviews, 201 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boston Intro, 62 reviews, 196 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Padova Intro, 55 reviews, 198 photos
- Paris Intro, 45 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bamberg Intro, 48 reviews, 169 photos
- New York City Intro, 50 reviews, 166 photos