"Hakuba and Nagano City" Top 5 Page for this destination Nagano by edelng
Nagano Travel Guide: 84 reviews and 200 photos
The reason we chose this place was because we would like to travel to a place very different from the main big cities like Tokyo. We wanted to feel and see something, together with our son. Also, I had Japan Rail pass which I need to fully utilise it. Hakuba answered it all my needs. There was a JR train from Shinjuku to Hakuba. When we arrived in Nov, the village was peaceful and quiet and the bonus was we saw the whole village was covered with snow. Very spectacular and breathtaking views.
Snowy mountain views are superb even if you are not skiing. We enjoyed playing snow here. The owner of the pension we stayed drove us here. He even gave us 20 yen to call him using public phone so that he could pick us up. We took a cable car up. We had lunch (stewed beef and curry rice) up here which was affordable.
I chose this city because of its historical temple founded in 7th century and believed to have the first Buddhist image arrived in Japan. We stayed in a beautiful traditional ryokan. It's quite a modern city though. We returned Tokyo via JR Shinkansen, duration was about 2.5hrs.
- Pros:Awesome mountainous views
- Cons:Can't think of at the moment
- In a nutshell:Wonderful experience out of Tokyo
Other than visiting the ski area, I took a walk around the Hakuba village. There are a number of resorts scattered... more travel advice
This is a very traditional ryokan. The whole place is so Japanese. It's taken care by 2 elderly couple who don't speak... more travel advice
edelng's Related Pages
Nagano Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Nagano Livin'"
- "Hakuba and Nagano City"
- "Snow Monkeys"
- "Skiing at Nagano"
- "Nagano - Snow Monkeys, Soba and Miso Ice Cream"
- "Ski The Far East"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Nagano
- Hotels in Nagano
- Transportation in Nagano
- Nightlife in Nagano
- Restaurants in Nagano
- Shopping in Nagano
- Warnings and Dangers in Nagano
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Nagano
- 6 Reviews
- 26 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Nagano?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nagano
Top 10 Pages
- Borobudur Intro, 5 reviews, 30 photos
- Shanghai Intro, 6 reviews, 27 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nagano Intro, 6 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hong Kong 5 reviews, 23 photos
- Putuo Shan Intro, 5 reviews, 23 photos
- Hualian Intro, 6 reviews, 16 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Matsumoto Intro, 4 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Muar Intro, 4 reviews, 13 photos
- Ho Chi Minh City 4 reviews, 12 photos
- Tokyo Intro, 2 reviews, 13 photos
No friends yet.