"Southampton in March" Southampton by slothtraveller
Southampton Travel Guide: 175 reviews and 362 photos
I had been considering visiting the New Forest for a while so I searched for a hotel in the general area. Much to my disappointment, I discovered that it was seriously expensive and probably not viable for me to visit on my current (low!) salary.
This led me to consider Southampton as a possible base for exploring the area and it turned out to be a very good choice. The city is only a short bus or train journey from historic locations such as Salisbury, Winchester and Portsmouth as well as the beautiful New Forest and beaches of the south coast.
The city left me with a generally positive impression. There are some sights worth seeing, especially around the dockside area where ferries frequently depart for Hythe and the Isle of Wight.
- Pros:Cheap place to base yourself with lots of amenities.
- Cons:For a place with such a naval history, it lacks any real identity.
- In a nutshell:Visit the docks but spend most of your time out of the city.
This museum was a highlight of my time in Southampton. Located on the docks in a beautiful building dating back to the... more travel advice
The Etap Hotel in Southampton is located near the city centre and railway station. This makes it an ideal option for... more travel advice
slothtraveller's Related Pages
Southampton Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Southampton: Gateway to the World"
- "A City Searching For An Identity"
- "Southampton: Home of the Queen Elizabeth 2"
- "GET ABOARD THE TITANIC"
- "SOUTHAMPTON, HANTS., ENGLAND"
- "Southampton in March"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Southampton
- Hotels in Southampton
- Transportation in Southampton
- Nightlife in Southampton
- Restaurants in Southampton
- Shopping in Southampton
- Warnings and Dangers in Southampton
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Southampton
- 4 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Southampton?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Southampton
Photos in SouthamptonSee All Photos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Berlin Intro, 22 reviews, 85 photos, 2 travelogues
- Madrid Intro, 7 reviews, 51 photos, 3 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 9 reviews, 44 photos, 2 travelogues
- Liverpool Intro, 14 reviews, 39 photos, 1 travelogue
- Tallinn Intro, 26 reviews, 26 photos
- Segovia Intro, 6 reviews, 41 photos, 2 travelogues
- London Intro, 8 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
- Belém Intro, 10 reviews, 31 photos
- Glasgow Intro, 13 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Edinburgh Intro, 13 reviews, 23 photos