"Southampton in March" Top 5 Page for this destination Southampton by slothtraveller

Southampton Travel Guide: 89 reviews and 197 photos

My visit to Southampton

I had been considering visiting the New Forest for a while so I searched for a hotel in the general area. Much to my disappointment, I discovered that it was seriously expensive and probably not viable for me to visit on my current (low!) salary.
This led me to consider Southampton as a possible base for exploring the area and it turned out to be a very good choice. The city is only a short bus or train journey from historic locations such as Salisbury, Winchester and Portsmouth as well as the beautiful New Forest and beaches of the south coast.
The city left me with a generally positive impression. There are some sights worth seeing, especially around the dockside area where ferries frequently depart for Hythe and the Isle of Wight.

• Pros:Cheap place to base yourself with lots of amenities.
  • Cons:For a place with such a naval history, it lacks any real identity.
  • In a nutshell:Visit the docks but spend most of your time out of the city.
  • Last visit to Southampton: Mar 2011
  • Intro Written Apr 5, 2011

• ettiewyn's Profile Photo
    Nov 23, 2011 at 9:23 AM

Just discovered this page because the link is on your homepage. I am staying in Bournemouth for a week next March and also plan to visit Southampton to see the Maritime Museum, and other places in the area - thank you for pointing out the bus ticket, it sounds like a very good option! The Bargate looks nice as well.

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Nov 2, 2011 at 3:02 AM

Lovely little page about Southampton here. The Explorer pass seems to be a good deal.

slothtraveller

“Travel is a continuous education”

Badges & Stats in Southampton

Have you been to Southampton?