"Remembering Dachau" Dachau by slothtraveller
Dachau Travel Guide: 169 reviews and 479 photos
The Concentration Camp of Dachau was the first of the camps set up by the Third Reich. It was set up in 1933 as a camp for political prisoners.
Over 200,000 people were imprisoned in Dachau. Over 43,000 died there.
The memorial site was opened in 1965 allowing visitors to re-live the horrors that took place in this small town north of Munich.
My visit to Dachau was part of a trip to Munich. I went not knowing what I would see. The day I visited, the weather was dreary and miserable. The rain did not stop. This was fitting as it reflected the mood of the camp. People milled about in silent contemplation. Although the place was relatively busy with tourists, there was still an eerie silence about the place.
I found the museum and the camp in general to be a very sobering but interesting experience.
IS IT WORTH A RETURN VISIT?
No, I wouldn't want to return but I'm glad I went there.
- Pros:That the camp remains open to the public
- Cons:That the camp ever existed at all
- In a nutshell:See the camp and remember the victims
Down a wooded path to the right of the crematorium, this mass grave can be found. It is a quiet and idyllic setting for... more travel advice
The Barrack X crematorium had 4 functioning furnaces. Prisoners were sometimes hung from the rafters here. more travel advice
slothtraveller's Related Pages
Dachau Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Welcome to Dachau: the beginning of the end"
- "To Honor the Dead, and to Remind the Living"
- "dachau germany"
- "The former SS concentration camp"
- "Dachau, even the name evokes horror..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Dachau
- Hotels in Dachau
- Transportation in Dachau
- Nightlife in Dachau
- Restaurants in Dachau
- Warnings and Dangers in Dachau
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Dachau
- 10 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Dachau?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dachau
Top 10 Pages
- Berlin Intro, 22 reviews, 85 photos, 2 travelogues
- Tallinn Intro, 26 reviews, 26 photos
- Belém Intro, 10 reviews, 31 photos
- Lisbon Intro, 9 reviews, 22 photos
- Sintra Intro, 3 reviews, 27 photos, 3 travelogues
- Edinburgh Intro, 11 reviews, 17 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sliema Intro, 12 reviews, 15 photos
- Salzburg Intro, 11 reviews, 15 photos
- Liverpool Intro, 10 reviews, 13 photos
- Glasgow Intro, 11 reviews, 11 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (13)
Latest Dachau hotel reviews
- Hotel Gotz
- 9 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 2, 2013