"First Europe, then the World!!!" slothtraveller's Profile

Me and My travels

Thanks for dropping by my homepage here on VT! I'm Steve and this website is a great antidote for my wanderlust! I enjoy adding tips about places I have been fortunate enough to visit, answering questions on the forums and checking out other peoples travel pages. Many of these pages have given me inspiration to see certain places I would never have previously considered visiting. Therefore I must thank the VT community for their wonderful tips, guidance and encouragement.
All of my travels have been in Europe, either on holidays or short breaks. I also lived in Oldenburg, Germany for a year while at university and really enjoyed seeing a few of the towns, cities and villages of Lower Saxony. At the moment, I am living in the town where I grew up, Tamworth, and working in the nearby city of Lichfield.
You will probably realise from my pages that I am particularly interested in places of human, architectural and historical interest. I'm not the type of person who could spend ages visiting a forest or lake or sitting on a beach somewhere. I would get far too bored!

FEEL FREE TO READ AND RATE MY TRAVEL PAGES AND TIPS. LEAVE A MESSAGE TOO. :-)

My trips so far have been:
Caravanning in Devon and Cornwall, England
Holidaying in Snowdonia, North Wales
Holidaying in Kos Town, Kos, Greece
Holidaying in Caleta, Fuerteventura, Canary Islands
Holidaying in Kassiopi, Corfu, Greece
Holidaying in Norfolk, England
Holidaying in Port Grimaud, South of France
Day trips to Ventimiglia, Italy and Monte Carlo, Monaco.
Living in Lower Saxony, Germany
Day trips around Germany
Day trip to Groningen, The Netherlands
Three day trip to Munich, including Dachau and Salzburg, Austria.
A week in sunny Malta
A day trip to Leeds, UK
5 nights in Scotland divided between Edinburgh and Glasgow
4 nights in Estoril, Portugal including Lisbon, Belem, Sintra and Cascais
4 nights in Berlin, Germany
5 nights in the Bernese Oberland, Switzerland including Spiez, Thun, Bern, Lucerne and Lauterbrunnen
An impromptu day trip to Llandudno, North Wales, UK- no pics though- didn't take a camera!
A day trip to Matlock Bath, UK
A day trip to York, UK
A few days in Manchester, UK
3 nights in London, UK C*

My holiday wish list

There are so many countries that I really want to visit. Here is my top ten wishlist:

10. Turkey
4. Denmark
3. Ghana
2. Australia
1. Sweden
And that's just for starters...if only I was rich. :-)

I make too many lists!

Here is a list of the countries I have visited in order I visited them, including my highlight for each country in brackets:

1. United Kingdom (Walking around Oxford on a summer day with punts on the river, students kitted out in graduation costumes and the sound of people playing cricket in the distance. Totally English!)
2. France (Swimming in a beautiful freshwater lake at the Gorges du Verdon)
3. Monaco (Seeing the infamous tunnel and swimming pool on the Formula One circuit of Monte Carlo)
4. Italy (Eating a gelato in Ventimiglia)
5. Spain (Marvelling at the lunar landscape of Timanfaya National Park, Lanzarote)
6. Greece (Swimming in the warm Mediterranean overlooking the Albanian coast in Kassiopi, Corfu)
7. Germany (Taking in the wonderful skyline of Munich before a storm from the Monopteros in the Englischer Garten)
8. The Netherlands (Avoiding crazy cyclists in Groningen)
9. Austria (Taking the funicular to Hohensalzburg fortress in Salzburg and enjoying the views from the top)
10. Malta (Taking the ferry from Sliema to Valletta, Marsamxett Bay is beautiful)
11. Ireland (Looking out at the vast Atlantic at the Cliffs of Moher)
12. Estonia (Exploring Taliinn's Old Town)
13. Portugal (Discovering something new around every corner at Quinta da Regaleira in Sintra)
14. Switzerland (Walking from Lauterbrunnen to Trummelbach with only the sound of the waterfalls and river. Very peaceful)

Last trip was fantastic because...

I spent 3 nights in London, England and had an amazing time visiting some of the iconic sights. I hadn't visited London since I was a child so this visit felt like visiting for the first time. I had great fun exploring the city using the London Underground network. As many of London's museums are free, the trip was surprisingly inexpensive. :D

In the pipeline...

July 2014- BOOKED!- A week in Helensburgh, Scotland for the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow! We have tickets for five sports events: Badminton, Swimming, Rugby Sevens, Wrestling and Gymnastics. :D Should be an amazing time and hopefully we will get up to the Highlands on one of our days when we are not at the Games.

I aim to revisit Germany and Spain this year too.

More fun lists!

I'd love to visit every capital city in Europe at least once! I've only actually visited 8 European capital cities so far: Bern, Berlin, London, Dublin, Valletta, Monaco-Ville, Lisbon and Tallinn. So here are the top 10 European capitals I really should visit:
1. Vienna, Austria- such a beautiful looking place, architecture looks amazing and a huge amount of history. The fact that they speak German there is also a plus point as is the fact that Salzburg in Austria is one of my favourite cities!
2. Riga, Latvia- The Latvian capital appeals to me as it reminds me of Tallinn which I love. Looks like a great city break destination and easy to get to from the UK.
3. Rome, Italy- Who doesn't want to visit Rome?! Hopefully I will make it there soon.
4. Budapest, Hungary- Budapest looks like my kind of city. I'd love to visit the beautiful ornate swimming pools they have over there which put anything in England to absolute disgrace.
5. Copenhagen, Denmark- I'd like to visit Nyhavn, Christiania and the famous Little Mermaid statue.
6. Reykjavik, Iceland- I'd like to see a bit of the Icelandic wilderness and experience the volcanic spas.
7. Vaduz, Liechtenstein- It would be great to visit this little place. Looks very charming in photos.
8. Stockholm, Sweden- Having read a travel book and some of the Stockholm pages on VT, I am inspired to visit this city. The Vasamuseet looks amazing.
9. Amsterdam, the Netherlands- my foray into the Netherlands, a short day trip to Groningen, has given me an interest in all things Dutch! The liberal society in Holland appeals very much as do the canals and cafes!
10. Ljubljana, Slovenia- Reading some of the Ljubljana pages on VT has opened my eyes up to the possibility of visiting. It appears to have many of the characteristics I find most appealing in cities in abundance!

The top ten cities I have visited are:
1. Berlin, Germany
7. Edinburgh, UK
8. Bern, Switzerland
9. Salzburg, Austria
10. Manchester, UK

Germany-my favourite place to travel

Germany has so many plus points in regard to travel. Firstly there is so much to see and do. Whether it is history, scenery or food culture that floats your boat, all is catered for. The second big plus is the great rail and tram network in Germany. Deutsche Bahn, I salute you! When you are used to Network Rail in Britain, it really is nice to go somewhere where pride is taken in transport and trains invariably arrive ON TIME!

The Great German State tally!

Another thing I would love to do is visit all the German states at least once.
Here are those that I have visited so far (in order of visit):

1. Bremen
10. Berlin

• Intro Updated Feb 10, 2014

• HeshamMA's Profile Photo
    Dec 28, 2013 at 6:35 AM

Steve , Happy new year from Sunny Sharm El Sheikh wish you great 2014 full of happiness success and great travels !

• davidjo's Profile Photo
    Dec 16, 2013 at 5:01 AM

Interesting report but i can't seem to find your review re Kassiopi. In '74 i camped on the beach with my GF at Kassiopi for 2 weeks. Back then it was a small village, perhaps 20 houses. That is where she got pregnant, ended up marrying her, and divorcing her 2 years later!!!! Wish i had gone alone!!!

Dec 16, 2013 at 2:17 PM

Hi David, sounds like Kassiopi holds some interesting memories for you. :D Sadly I visited Kassiopi before I started taking photos and making tips, hence I haven't built a page. I must revisit someday and rectify that!

• SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo
    Jul 1, 2013 at 12:36 PM

Wishing you a belated Happy Birthday, Steve!
    Hope you had a great day! Did you go anywhere exciting to celebrate?

Jul 1, 2013 at 1:07 PM

Thanks Jonathan! Didn't do too much. Been ill with tonsilitis so been taking it easy. Feeling much better now though and planning a trip to London in a couple of months. I haven't been since I was a child so I'm well overdue a re-visit!

• SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo
      Jul 1, 2013 at 1:13 PM

Glad you're feeling better, mate!
      I was nearly 30 before I first visited London as a tourist! I'd seen SWFC play at various places throughout London, but I'd only ever glimpsed the sights through the window of a coach or car! I quite enjoy a weekend in London every couple of years now, mainly because of the great selection of restaurants to choose from! :-)

• King_Golo's Profile Photo
    Jun 27, 2013 at 2:44 AM

Happy belated birthday!

• Airpunk's Profile Photo
    Jun 26, 2013 at 12:13 PM

Belate Happy Returns, Steve. Best regards from northern Germany - Karl

• sof76's Profile Photo
    Jun 24, 2013 at 5:12 PM

Steve: Happy B'day from Buenos Aires!
    =)

Jun 24, 2013 at 10:20 AM

Happy Birthday, Steve!

• connectingrod's Profile Photo
    Jun 24, 2013 at 5:33 AM

A birthday is just the first day of another 365-day journey around the sun. Enjoy the trip.

hAPpY bIrThDaY tO yOu

• GentleSpirit's Profile Photo
    Jun 24, 2013 at 4:40 AM

Hey Steve
    Happy Birthday to you from scorching hot Washington DC area
    Hope you have a very happy Birthday,
    all best wishes
    val

Jun 26, 2013 at 3:13 AM

Thank you Val! If you could send some your weather over the Atlantic, that would be great. :)

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
slothtraveller's Profile Photo

slothtraveller

“Travel is a continuous education”

Real Name