"First Europe, then the World!!!" slothtraveller's Profile

Me and My travels

Thanks for dropping by my homepage here on VT! I'm Steve and this website is a great antidote for my wanderlust! I enjoy adding tips about places I have been fortunate enough to visit, answering questions on the forums and checking out other peoples travel pages. Many of these pages have given me inspiration to see certain places I would never have previously considered visiting. Therefore I must thank the VT community for their wonderful tips, guidance and encouragement.
All of my travels have been in Europe, either on holidays or short breaks. I also lived in Oldenburg, Germany for a year while at university and really enjoyed seeing a few of the towns, cities and villages of Lower Saxony. At the moment, I am living in the town where I grew up, Tamworth.
You will probably realise from my pages that I am particularly interested in places of human, architectural and historical interest. I'm not the type of person who could spend ages visiting a forest or lake or sitting on a beach somewhere. I would get far too bored!

FEEL FREE TO READ AND RATE MY TRAVEL PAGES AND TIPS. LEAVE A MESSAGE TOO. :-)

My trips so far have been:
Caravanning in Devon and Cornwall, England
Holidaying in Snowdonia, North Wales
Holidaying in Kos Town, Kos, Greece
Holidaying in Caleta, Fuerteventura, Canary Islands
Holidaying in Kassiopi, Corfu, Greece
Holidaying in Norfolk, England
Holidaying in Port Grimaud, South of France
Day trips to Ventimiglia, Italy and Monte Carlo, Monaco.
Living in Lower Saxony, Germany
Day trips around Germany
Day trip to Groningen, The Netherlands
Three day trip to Munich, including Dachau and Salzburg, Austria.
A week in sunny Malta
A day trip to Leeds, UK
5 nights in Scotland divided between Edinburgh and Glasgow
4 nights in Estoril, Portugal including Lisbon, Belem, Sintra and Cascais
4 nights in Berlin, Germany
5 nights in the Bernese Oberland, Switzerland including Spiez, Thun, Bern, Lucerne and Lauterbrunnen
An impromptu day trip to Llandudno, North Wales, UK- no pics though- didn't take a camera!
A day trip to Matlock Bath, UK
My 31st birthday spent in Shrewsbury, UK
A week at the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow staying in Helensburgh, Scotland
A couple of nights at Salford Quays, near Manchester, UK

My holiday wish list

There are so many countries that I really want to visit. Here is my top ten wishlist:

10. Turkey
4. Denmark
3. Ghana
2. Australia
1. Sweden
And that's just for starters...if only I was rich. :-)

I make too many lists!

Here is a list of the countries I have visited in order I visited them, including my highlight for each country in brackets:

1. United Kingdom (Walking around Oxford on a summer day with punts on the river, students kitted out in graduation costumes and the sound of people playing cricket in the distance. Totally English!)
2. France (Swimming in a beautiful freshwater lake at the Gorges du Verdon)
3. Monaco (Seeing the infamous tunnel and swimming pool on the Formula One circuit of Monte Carlo)
4. Italy (Eating a gelato in Ventimiglia)
5. Spain (Marvelling at the lunar landscape of Timanfaya National Park, Lanzarote)
6. Greece (Swimming in the warm Mediterranean overlooking the Albanian coast in Kassiopi, Corfu)
7. Germany (Taking in the wonderful skyline of Munich before a storm from the Monopteros in the Englischer Garten)
8. The Netherlands (Avoiding crazy cyclists in Groningen)
9. Austria (Taking the funicular to Hohensalzburg fortress in Salzburg and enjoying the views from the top)
10. Malta (Taking the ferry from Sliema to Valletta, Marsamxett Bay is beautiful)
11. Ireland (Looking out at the vast Atlantic at the Cliffs of Moher)
12. Estonia (Exploring Taliinn's Old Town)
13. Portugal (Discovering something new around every corner at Quinta da Regaleira in Sintra)
14. Switzerland (Walking from Lauterbrunnen to Trummelbach with only the sound of the waterfalls and river. Very peaceful)

Last trip was fantastic because...

I spent a week staying in Helensburgh, Scotland with my sister. We visited primarily to attend the Commonwealth Games and travelled into Glasgow daily to watch the events. It was a very tiring trip but we had a really memorable time and enjoyed every second. Only thing is I need a holiday now to recover from all the walking and early mornings we did!

In the pipeline...

Although I am eager to make more trips this year, I fear the opportunity to go to somewhere new may not arise due to financial constraints. In all likelihood, I will probably have to be content to visit the Christmas market in Birmingham this year rather than Cologne or Frankfurt!
Next year I plan to make a couple of trips abroad at least, having stayed in the UK for the whole of 2014.
I am researching a trip to Braga, Portugal for Summer 2015. I hope to also visit Porto and perhaps Guimaraes in this trip too.
During 2015, I also hope to make another trip overseas. My sister and I are tempted to visit Turkey and we are currently looking into options in the Fethiye/Olu Deniz area in May!

More fun lists!

I'd love to visit every capital city in Europe at least once! I've only actually visited 8 European capital cities so far: Bern, Berlin, London, Dublin, Valletta, Monaco-Ville, Lisbon and Tallinn. So here are the top 10 European capitals I really should visit:
1. Vienna, Austria- such a beautiful looking place, architecture looks amazing and a huge amount of history. The fact that they speak German there is also a plus point as is the fact that Salzburg in Austria is one of my favourite cities!
2. Riga, Latvia- The Latvian capital appeals to me as it reminds me of Tallinn which I love. Looks like a great city break destination and easy to get to from the UK.
3. Rome, Italy- Who doesn't want to visit Rome?! Hopefully I will make it there soon.
4. Budapest, Hungary- Budapest looks like my kind of city. I'd love to visit the beautiful ornate swimming pools they have over there which put anything in England to absolute disgrace.
5. Copenhagen, Denmark- I'd like to visit Nyhavn, Christiania and the famous Little Mermaid statue.
6. Reykjavik, Iceland- I'd like to see a bit of the Icelandic wilderness and experience the volcanic spas.
7. Vaduz, Liechtenstein- It would be great to visit this little place. Looks very charming in photos.
8. Stockholm, Sweden- Having read a travel book and some of the Stockholm pages on VT, I am inspired to visit this city. The Vasamuseet looks amazing.
9. Amsterdam, the Netherlands- my foray into the Netherlands, a short day trip to Groningen, has given me an interest in all things Dutch! The liberal society in Holland appeals very much as do the canals and cafes!
10. Ljubljana, Slovenia- Reading some of the Ljubljana pages on VT has opened my eyes up to the possibility of visiting. It appears to have many of the characteristics I find most appealing in cities in abundance!

The top ten cities I have visited are:
1. Berlin, Germany
7. Edinburgh, UK
8. Bern, Switzerland
9. Salzburg, Austria
10. Manchester, UK

Germany-my favourite place to travel

Germany has so many plus points in regard to travel. Firstly there is so much to see and do. Whether it is history, scenery or food culture that floats your boat, all is catered for. The second big plus is the great rail and tram network in Germany. Deutsche Bahn, I salute you! Maybe I have just been lucky and avoided delays but I am always impressed by their efficiency. I always look forward to visiting Germany because of the double-decker trains they have. Wish we had them in Britain!

The Great German State tally!

Another thing I would love to do is visit all the German states at least once.
Here are those that I have visited so far (in order of visit):

1. Bremen
9. Brandenburg
10. Berlin

• Intro Updated Dec 11, 2014

Dec 24, 2014 at 9:06 AM

Happy Holidays, Steve. Hope the New Year 2015 provides ample opportunity for travel. Peace and Joy! Leslie

• paddington28's Profile Photo
    Dec 11, 2014 at 3:07 AM

Nov 26, 2014 at 11:25 PM

Thank you for visiting my profile page, Steve. And thank you for the suggestion I visit Port Grimaud. It looks like a charming place and sounds like it left quite an impression on you as a child. Not sure if I'll make it that far to the east on this next visit to France but it's always good to have a reason to return! I'm saving the Cote d'Azur for another trip, hoping to see some of the Italian coast too. Best regards!

• slothtraveller's Profile Photo
      Nov 27, 2014 at 6:41 AM

My pleasure, Leslie. I can understand you wanting to do a separate trip to the French and Italian coasts. Also Monaco is particularly stunning and not to be missed. Enjoy your next trip to Provence and be sure to write us some tips on your return. :)

Nov 27, 2014 at 6:25 PM

I've been really lazy about writing things up. Thanks for the nudge! ;-)

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Oct 7, 2014 at 10:44 AM

Steve, thanks a lot for visiting my Mtskheta page. I am glad you like it.

• songlines's Profile Photo
    Aug 29, 2014 at 1:32 PM

Great pages and travel tips Steve, enjoyed.

• DAO's Profile Photo
    Jun 30, 2014 at 9:49 AM

Happy Birthday !

• jayjayc's Profile Photo
    Jun 30, 2014 at 9:37 AM

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! CHEERS!

• toemayn's Profile Photo
    Jun 24, 2014 at 2:36 PM

Hope your birthday is filled with all the fun you can handle!

• HeshamMA's Profile Photo
    Jun 24, 2014 at 1:18 PM

Happy Birth Day Steve , wish you great happy year !

• christine.j's Profile Photo
    Jun 24, 2014 at 9:27 AM

A very happy birthday to you.

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
slothtraveller's Profile Photo

slothtraveller

“Travel is a continuous education”

Real Name