"First Europe, then the World!!!" slothtraveller's Profile
Thanks for dropping by my homepage here on VT! I'm Steve and this website is a great antidote for my wanderlust! I enjoy adding tips about places I have been fortunate enough to visit, answering questions on the forums and checking out other peoples travel pages. Many of these pages have given me inspiration to see certain places I would never have previously considered visiting. Therefore I must thank the VT community for their wonderful tips, guidance and encouragement.
All of my travels have been in Europe, either on holidays or short breaks. I also lived in Oldenburg, Germany for a year while at university and really enjoyed seeing a few of the towns, cities and villages of Lower Saxony. At the moment, I am living in the town where I grew up, Tamworth.
You will probably realise from my pages that I am particularly interested in places of human, architectural and historical interest. I'm not the type of person who could spend ages visiting a forest or lake or sitting on a beach somewhere. I would get far too bored!
FEEL FREE TO READ AND RATE MY TRAVEL PAGES AND TIPS. LEAVE A MESSAGE TOO. :-)
My trips so far have been:
Caravanning in Devon and Cornwall, England
Holidaying in Snowdonia, North Wales
Holidaying in Kos Town, Kos, Greece
Holidaying in Caleta, Fuerteventura, Canary Islands
Holidaying in Kassiopi, Corfu, Greece
Holidaying in Norfolk, England
Holidaying in Port Grimaud, South of France
Day trips to Ventimiglia, Italy and Monte Carlo, Monaco.
Living in Lower Saxony, Germany
Day trips around Germany
Day trip to Groningen, The Netherlands
Three day trip to Munich, including Dachau and Salzburg, Austria.
A week in sunny Malta
One week in Irish Republic including Dublin and Galway
Christmas markets in Heidelberg and Speyer, Germany
4 day trip to Southampton, UK including the New Forest
4 nights in Tallinn, Estonia
A day trip to Leeds, UK
5 nights in Scotland divided between Edinburgh and Glasgow
4 nights in Estoril, Portugal including Lisbon, Belem, Sintra and Cascais
4 nights in Berlin, Germany
5 nights in the Bernese Oberland, Switzerland including Spiez, Thun, Bern, Lucerne and Lauterbrunnen
An impromptu day trip to Llandudno, North Wales, UK- no pics though- didn't take a camera!
A day trip to Matlock Bath, UK
A day trip to York, UK
A few days in Manchester, UK
3 nights in London, UK
A couple of nights in Northumberland, UK
My 31st birthday spent in Shrewsbury, UK
A week at the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow staying in Helensburgh, Scotland
A couple of nights at Salford Quays, near Manchester, UK
There are so many countries that I really want to visit. Here is my top ten wishlist:
8. Costa Rica
7. United States
And that's just for starters...if only I was rich. :-)
Here is a list of the countries I have visited in order I visited them, including my highlight for each country in brackets:
1. United Kingdom (Walking around Oxford on a summer day with punts on the river, students kitted out in graduation costumes and the sound of people playing cricket in the distance. Totally English!)
2. France (Swimming in a beautiful freshwater lake at the Gorges du Verdon)
3. Monaco (Seeing the infamous tunnel and swimming pool on the Formula One circuit of Monte Carlo)
4. Italy (Eating a gelato in Ventimiglia)
5. Spain (Marvelling at the lunar landscape of Timanfaya National Park, Lanzarote)
6. Greece (Swimming in the warm Mediterranean overlooking the Albanian coast in Kassiopi, Corfu)
7. Germany (Taking in the wonderful skyline of Munich before a storm from the Monopteros in the Englischer Garten)
8. The Netherlands (Avoiding crazy cyclists in Groningen)
9. Austria (Taking the funicular to Hohensalzburg fortress in Salzburg and enjoying the views from the top)
10. Malta (Taking the ferry from Sliema to Valletta, Marsamxett Bay is beautiful)
11. Ireland (Looking out at the vast Atlantic at the Cliffs of Moher)
12. Estonia (Exploring Taliinn's Old Town)
13. Portugal (Discovering something new around every corner at Quinta da Regaleira in Sintra)
14. Switzerland (Walking from Lauterbrunnen to Trummelbach with only the sound of the waterfalls and river. Very peaceful)
I spent a week staying in Helensburgh, Scotland with my sister. We visited primarily to attend the Commonwealth Games and travelled into Glasgow daily to watch the events. It was a very tiring trip but we had a really memorable time and enjoyed every second. Only thing is I need a holiday now to recover from all the walking and early mornings we did!
This year, I plan to make a couple of trips abroad at least, having stayed in the UK for the whole of 2014.
I am researching a trip to Braga, Portugal for Summer 2015. I hope to also visit Porto and perhaps Guimaraes in this trip too.
During 2015, I also hope to make another trip overseas. My sister and I are tempted to visit Turkey and we are currently looking into options in the Fethiye/Olu Deniz area in May!
I'd love to visit every capital city in Europe at least once! I've only actually visited 8 European capital cities so far: Bern, Berlin, London, Dublin, Valletta, Monaco-Ville, Lisbon and Tallinn. So here are the top 10 European capitals I really should visit:
1. Vienna, Austria- such a beautiful looking place, architecture looks amazing and a huge amount of history. The fact that they speak German there is also a plus point as is the fact that Salzburg in Austria is one of my favourite cities!
2. Riga, Latvia- The Latvian capital appeals to me as it reminds me of Tallinn which I love. Looks like a great city break destination and easy to get to from the UK.
3. Rome, Italy- Who doesn't want to visit Rome?! Hopefully I will make it there soon.
4. Budapest, Hungary- Budapest looks like my kind of city. I'd love to visit the beautiful ornate swimming pools they have over there which put anything in England to absolute disgrace.
5. Copenhagen, Denmark- I'd like to visit Nyhavn, Christiania and the famous Little Mermaid statue.
6. Reykjavik, Iceland- I'd like to see a bit of the Icelandic wilderness and experience the volcanic spas.
7. Vaduz, Liechtenstein- It would be great to visit this little place. Looks very charming in photos.
8. Stockholm, Sweden- Having read a travel book and some of the Stockholm pages on VT, I am inspired to visit this city. The Vasamuseet looks amazing.
9. Amsterdam, the Netherlands- my foray into the Netherlands, a short day trip to Groningen, has given me an interest in all things Dutch! The liberal society in Holland appeals very much as do the canals and cafes!
10. Ljubljana, Slovenia- Reading some of the Ljubljana pages on VT has opened my eyes up to the possibility of visiting. It appears to have many of the characteristics I find most appealing in cities in abundance!
The top ten cities I have visited are:
1. Berlin, Germany
2. London, UK
3. Lisbon, Portugal
4. Tallinn, Estonia
5. Munich, Germany
6. Liverpool, UK
7. Edinburgh, UK
8. Bern, Switzerland
9. Salzburg, Austria
10. Manchester, UK
Germany has so many plus points in regard to travel. Firstly there is so much to see and do. Whether it is history, scenery or food culture that floats your boat, all is catered for. The second big plus is the great rail and tram network in Germany. Deutsche Bahn, I salute you! Maybe I have just been lucky and avoided delays but I am always impressed by their efficiency. I always look forward to visiting Germany because of the double-decker trains they have. Wish we had them in Britain!
Another thing I would love to do is visit all the German states at least once.
Here are those that I have visited so far (in order of visit):
2. Lower Saxony
4. North Rhine Westphalia
7. Baden Württemberg
8. Rhineland Palatinate
Personal Pages (2)
Written Apr 10, 2014
I love my museum visits!
Written Aug 21, 2012
Top Travel Pages
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 301 Reviews
- 672 Photos
- 9 Countries
- 50 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
- Posted in Travel London Forum "Re: Out of town trips from London..."
- Commented on one of Airpunk's Kaunas travel pages
updated their Profile Page "First Europe, then the World!!!"
- slothtraveller and paddington28 are now friends.
- updated a Manchester Travel Page "Manchester- Markets and much more!"
- Uploaded a Photo to "A few photos at Manchester City FC"
- Wrote a Review Seahouses Lifeboat Station in Seahouses Things to Do
Top 10 Pages
- Berlin Intro, 22 reviews, 85 photos, 2 travelogues
- Liverpool Intro, 14 reviews, 39 photos, 1 travelogue
- Tallinn Intro, 26 reviews, 26 photos
- Belém Intro, 10 reviews, 31 photos
- Glasgow Intro, 13 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Edinburgh Intro, 13 reviews, 23 photos
- Bern Intro, 9 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Manchester Intro, 8 reviews, 27 photos, 2 travelogues
- Lisbon Intro, 9 reviews, 22 photos
- Sintra Intro, 3 reviews, 27 photos, 3 travelogues