"First Europe, then the World!!!" slothtraveller's Profile
Thanks for dropping by my homepage here on VT! I'm Steve and this website is a great antidote for my wanderlust! I enjoy adding tips about places I have been fortunate enough to visit, answering questions on the forums and checking out other peoples travel pages. Many of these pages have given me inspiration to see certain places I would never have previously considered visiting. Therefore I must thank the VT community for their wonderful tips, guidance and encouragement.
All of my travels have been in Europe, either on holidays or short breaks. I also lived in Oldenburg, Germany for a year while at university and really enjoyed seeing a few of the towns, cities and villages of Lower Saxony. At the moment, I am living in the town where I grew up, Tamworth, and working in the nearby city of Lichfield.
You will probably realise from my pages that I am particularly interested in places of human, architectural and historical interest. I'm not the type of person who could spend ages visiting a forest or lake or sitting on a beach somewhere. I would get far too bored!
FEEL FREE TO READ AND RATE MY TRAVEL PAGES AND TIPS. LEAVE A MESSAGE TOO. :-)
My trips so far have been:
Caravanning in Devon and Cornwall, England
Holidaying in Snowdonia, North Wales
Holidaying in Kos Town, Kos, Greece
Holidaying in Caleta, Fuerteventura, Canary Islands
Holidaying in Kassiopi, Corfu, Greece
Holidaying in Norfolk, England
Holidaying in Port Grimaud, South of France
Day trips to Ventimiglia, Italy and Monte Carlo, Monaco.
Living in Lower Saxony, Germany
Day trips around Germany
Day trip to Groningen, The Netherlands
Three day trip to Munich, including Dachau and Salzburg, Austria.
A week in sunny Malta
One week in Irish Republic including Dublin and Galway
Christmas markets in Heidelberg and Speyer, Germany
4 day trip to Southampton, UK including the New Forest
4 nights in Tallinn, Estonia
A day trip to Leeds, UK
5 nights in Scotland divided between Edinburgh and Glasgow
4 nights in Estoril, Portugal including Lisbon, Belem, Sintra and Cascais
4 nights in Berlin, Germany
5 nights in the Bernese Oberland, Switzerland including Spiez, Thun, Bern, Lucerne and Lauterbrunnen
An impromptu day trip to Llandudno, North Wales, UK- no pics though- didn't take a camera!
A day trip to Matlock Bath, UK
A day trip to York, UK
There are so many countries that I really want to visit. Here is my top ten wishlist:
8. Costa Rica
7. United States
And that's just for starters...if only I was rich. :-)
Here is a list of the countries I have visited in order I visited them, including my highlight for each country in brackets:
1. United Kingdom (Walking around Oxford on a summer day with punts on the river, students kitted out in graduation costumes and the sound of people playing cricket in the distance. Totally English!)
2. France (Swimming in a beautiful freshwater lake at the Gorges du Verdon)
3. Monaco (Seeing the infamous tunnel and swimming pool on the Formula One circuit of Monte Carlo)
4. Italy (Eating a gelato in Ventimiglia)
5. Spain (Marvelling at the lunar landscape of Timanfaya National Park, Lanzarote)
6. Greece (Swimming in the warm Mediterranean overlooking the Albanian coast in Kassiopi, Corfu)
7. Germany (Taking in the wonderful skyline of Munich before a storm from the Monopteros in the Englischer Garten)
8. The Netherlands (Avoiding crazy cyclists in Groningen)
9. Austria (Taking the funicular to Hohensalzburg fortress in Salzburg and enjoying the views from the top)
10. Malta (Taking the ferry from Sliema to Valletta, Marsamxett Bay is beautiful)
11. Ireland (Looking out at the vast Atlantic at the Cliffs of Moher)
12. Estonia (Exploring Taliinn's Old Town)
13. Portugal (Discovering something new around every corner at Quinta da Regaleira in Sintra)
14. Switzerland (Walking from Lauterbrunnen to Trummelbach with only the sound of the waterfalls and river. Very peaceful)
I spent 5 nights in the Bernese Oberland in Switzerland. I stayed in the town of Spiez on the banks of Lake Thun. I used a Swiss Pass to get around the local area by train visiting Lucerne, Thun, Bern and Lauterbrunnen. I enjoyed some really nice spring weather and the snowtopped Alps looked very beautiful. I will definitely remember this trip for some time to come!
End of November 2013- BOOKED!- Two nights in Manchester, England visiting the many Christmas markets in the city. :D
July 2014- BOOKED!- A week in Helensburgh, Scotland for the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow! We have tickets for five sports events: Badminton, Swimming, Rugby Sevens, Wrestling and Gymnastics. :D Should be an amazing time and hopefully we will get up to the Highlands on one of our days when we are not at the Games.
I'd love to visit every capital city in Europe at least once! I've only actually visited 8 European capital cities so far: Bern, Berlin, London, Dublin, Valletta, Monaco-Ville, Lisbon and Tallinn. So here are the top 10 European capitals I really should visit:
1. Vienna, Austria- such a beautiful looking place, architecture looks amazing and a huge amount of history. The fact that they speak German there is also a plus point as is the fact that Salzburg in Austria is one of my favourite cities!
2. Riga, Latvia- The Latvian capital appeals to me as it reminds me of Tallinn which I love. Looks like a great city break destination and easy to get to from the UK.
3. Rome, Italy- Who doesn't want to visit Rome?! Hopefully I will make it there soon.
4. Budapest, Hungary- Budapest looks like my kind of city. I'd love to visit the beautiful ornate swimming pools they have over there which put anything in England to absolute disgrace.
5. Copenhagen, Denmark- I'd like to visit Nyhavn, Christiania and the famous Little Mermaid statue.
6. Reykjavik, Iceland- I'd like to see a bit of the Icelandic wilderness and experience the volcanic spas.
7. Vaduz, Liechtenstein- It would be great to visit this little place. Looks very charming in photos.
8. Stockholm, Sweden- Having read a travel book and some of the Stockholm pages on VT, I am inspired to visit this city. The Vasamuseet looks amazing.
9. Amsterdam, the Netherlands- my foray into the Netherlands, a short day trip to Groningen, has given me an interest in all things Dutch! The liberal society in Holland appeals very much as do the canals and cafes!
10. Ljubljana, Slovenia- Reading some of the Ljubljana pages on VT has opened my eyes up to the possibility of visiting. It appears to have many of the characteristics I find most appealing in cities in abundance!
The top ten cities I have visited are:
1. Munich, Germany
2. Tallinn, Estonia
3. Berlin, Germany
4. Liverpool, UK
5. Lisbon, Portugal
6. Edinburgh, UK
7. Salzburg, Austria
8. Bern, Switzerland
9. London, UK
10. Galway, Ireland
Germany has so many plus points in regard to travel. Firstly there is so much to see and do. Whether it is history, scenery or food culture that floats your boat, all is catered for. The second big plus is the great rail and tram network in Germany. Deutsche Bahn, I salute you! When you are used to Network Rail in Britain, it really is nice to go somewhere where pride is taken in transport and trains invariably arrive ON TIME!
Another thing I would love to do is visit all the German states at least once.
Here are those that I have visited so far (in order of visit):
2. Lower Saxony
4. North Rhine Westphalia
7. Baden Württemberg
8. Rhineland Palatinate
Personal Pages (2)
Written May 29, 2013
I love my museum visits!
Written Aug 21, 2012
Top Travel Pages
Explore the World
- Baguio City Hotels
- Cameron Highlands Hotels
- Chandigarh Hotels
- Malgrat de Mar
- Kandy Hotels
- Pondicherry Hotels
- Marin City Hotels
- Catawba Island Hotels
- Stittsville Hotels
- Ichetucknee Springs State Park Hotels
- Daytona Beach Hotels
- Cebu City
- Palma de Mallorca
- La Spezia
- Islamabad Hotels
- Kalpakkam Hotels
- Laoag City
- Willow Glen Hotels
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 275 Reviews
- 549 Photos
- 9 Countries
- 46 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
- Wrote a Review Little China in Big Manchester about Chinatown in Manchester Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Little China in Big Manchester"
- Commented on one of slothtraveller's Manchester tips
- created a Manchester Travel Page "Manchester- Markets and much more!"
updated their Profile Page "First Europe, then the World!!!"
- slothtraveller and HeshamMA are now friends.
- Posted in Travel Switzerland Forum "Re: 10 days in Switzerland"
PhotosSee All Photos (549)
Top 10 Pages
- Berlin Intro, 22 reviews, 85 photos, 2 travelogues
- Tallinn Intro, 26 reviews, 26 photos
- Belém Intro, 10 reviews, 31 photos
- Bern Intro, 9 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lisbon Intro, 9 reviews, 22 photos
- Sintra Intro, 3 reviews, 27 photos, 3 travelogues
- Edinburgh Intro, 11 reviews, 17 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sliema Intro, 12 reviews, 15 photos
- Salzburg Intro, 11 reviews, 15 photos
- Liverpool Intro, 10 reviews, 13 photos
- Paris Hotels
- 22479 Reviews - 55020 Photos
- Fort Lauderdale Hotels
- 659 Reviews - 1389 Photos
- Dubai Hotels
- 2702 Reviews - 7926 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23320 Reviews - 48909 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15643 Reviews - 31276 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 2028 Reviews - 4971 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 328 Reviews - 894 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1933 Reviews - 3724 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3098 Reviews - 5880 Photos
- Punta Cana Hotels
- 422 Reviews - 1020 Photos
- Playa del Carmen Hotels
- 780 Reviews - 1749 Photos
- Goa Hotels
- 2058 Reviews - 3874 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 12024 Reviews - 26762 Photos
- Bangkok Hotels
- 10315 Reviews - 22905 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7829 Reviews - 20234 Photos