"Qazvin, The Safavid Capital" Qazvin by Behi
Qazvin Travel Guide: 40 reviews and 169 photos
Qazvin (Kazvin, Kasvin, Casbin, Caspian ) is a city in Iran, some 145 km northwest of Tehran.
The name “Qazvin” or “Kasbin” is derived from Cas, an ancient Aryan tribe which lived south of the Caspian Sea a thousand years ago. The Caspian Sea itself in fact derives its name from the same origin.
Archaeological findings in the Qazvin plain reveal urban agricultural settlements for at least 9000 years.
Contains over 2000 architectural and archaeological sites.
Qazvin is thought to have been founded by Shapur II, The Sassanid King of Persia in 250 CE, under the name Shad Shahpur.
Captured & suffered massacre by invading Arabs (644 AD)
Hasan-i Sabbah established the headquarters of the Hashshashin at the nearby fortress of Alamut about 1090.
Destroyed by Genghis Khan (13th century)
The Safavid monarchs made Qazvin the capital of the Safavid empire in 1548 after Tabriz, until it have moved to Esfahan in 1598
Qazvin is also the place from which the famous coup d’état that led to the rise of the first Pahlavi dynasty was launched in 1921.
Bombed and occupied by Russian forces in both World Wars.
Qazvin is famous for it's Confections as Baghlava, Nokhodi, Kasme, Brenji, ...
- Pros:delicious Confections
The second floor of chehel soton is now used as a museum of Calligraphy. They hold collection of exquisite... more travel advice
First Established in Chehel Soton in 1968, & moved to new place in 2004. Holds ceramics, woodcarvings, Gold ornament,... more travel advice
Behi's Related Pages
Qazvin Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Qazvin, The Safavid Capital"
- "Qazvin - Safavid capital city of Persia"
- "Jame' Atiq Mosque of Qazvin"
- "An Old City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Qazvin
- Hotels in Qazvin
- Transportation in Qazvin
- Restaurants in Qazvin
- Shopping in Qazvin
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Qazvin
- 16 Reviews
- 66 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Qazvin?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Qazvin
Photos in QazvinSee All Photos (66)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Van Intro, 42 reviews, 164 photos, 8 travelogues
- Tehran Intro, 34 reviews, 112 photos
- Takht-e Soleyman Intro, 24 reviews, 103 photos, 7 travelogues
- Mashhad Intro, 27 reviews, 83 photos, 2 travelogues
- Rey Intro, 13 reviews, 74 photos, 4 travelogues
- Neyshabur Intro, 18 reviews, 65 photos, 2 travelogues
- Tus Intro, 17 reviews, 66 photos, 3 travelogues
- Qazvin Intro, 16 reviews, 66 photos, 2 travelogues
- Soltaniyeh Intro, 2 reviews, 57 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kashan Intro, 9 reviews, 43 photos, 4 travelogues