"Greco- Roman Scythopolis" Tel Bet She'an by WorldMeet2008
Tel Bet She'an Travel Guide: 9 reviews and 49 photos
An ancient city with a glorious past.
King Saul and his sons, who lost the battle agains the Philistines at nearby Mt Gilboa, were hung from its city walls.
During Greco- Roman period, known as Scythopolis, it was one of ten major cities in the Levant (the Decapolis).
During the Byzantine period, Bet She'an the city served as the capital of Palestina Secunda.
During the 8th century CE the city was destroyed by a powerful earthquake.
Bet She'an is one of Israel's most prominent archaeological sites, with a major Roman theater, the Roman- Byzantine Cardo (main street), giant columns, shops and mosaics.
There are also remains of a Byzantine church with an impressive mosaic floor.
WorldMeet2008's Related Pages
Tel Bet She'an Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Tel Beit Shean, history in the diggings"
- "Bet She'an"
- "Greco- Roman Scythopolis"
- "A gem 3 minutes off the main highway"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tel Bet She'an
- 0 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Tel Bet She'an?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tel Bet She'an
Top 10 Pages
- Jerusalem Intro, 20 reviews, 41 photos, 2 travelogues
- Israel Intro, 3 reviews, 19 photos, 2 travelogues
- `En Gedi Intro, 3 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
- Tel Aviv-Yafo Intro, 7 reviews, 10 photos
- Haifa Intro, 4 reviews, 10 photos
- Southern District Intro, 4 reviews, 7 photos
- Herzliya Intro, 3 reviews, 5 photos
- Masada Intro, 2 reviews, 5 photos
- Eilat Intro, 1 review, 4 photos
- Lake Tiberias Intro, 1 review, 4 photos